surprise twins....

this has happened to 2 of my close family members- i am just finding this out- they think they are having one and it comes out to be 2. I was watching the show with my mom and she told me that this is common in my family. And i took the home gender test and it said I was having a boy, but when i went to the ultrasound,she said a girl.and my family is big on the whole myths about gender. the shape of my belly is boy, my cravings are salty so thats a boy craving, my right breast is bigger then my left, all that good stuff and it came out to be 50/50. but I just want to know what yall think b/c I don't want any "surprises" in the delivery room.

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would have my ob do a really good u/s of the whole belly and double check and do a blood test to see the sex and see what that says it doesnt happen too often these days that a baby is missed just tell your doc that it runs in your family and have them really check!
    Anonymous

• ok..and I forgot 1 thing..every1 is telling me that Im too big for 28wks
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yeah, alert the doctor and the U/S tech so that you are really checked out thoroughly for a second. Please let us know how it all turns out?

Answer by Bmat at 1:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• people were telling me i looked too big at 23wks and my doctor told me i was 2wks ahead doesnt mean anything baby could just be big or your ahead of schedual doesnt mean your having twins
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 1:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I was always took i was to small. but i would try the blood test i was having 2 but at 15 weeks one died and twins come from the guys side
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Lacrisha-

Twins don't "come from the guy's side" Fraternal twins are hereditary from the mother's side. It just means that you are more likely to release two eggs when you ovulate.
    Identical twins are spontaneous.

OP- It isn't common to "miss a twin" these days. It is almost impossible to miss a second baby on an ultrasound, especially if you have more than one.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Just a heads up.. everyone I know that have taken the home gender tests said they were wrong. As for you going by the old wives tales those have been proven to not be true. I have 3 girls and have always craved salty foods while pregnant. I also have carried all 3 of them differently and they were all girls. So you can't go by any of that. Ultrasounds aren't always right on gender but they generally don't miss a baby on there.
    sophia_03_27

Answer by sophia_03_27 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2009