I have a 18 years old daughter, that likes drama in her life. Everything have to acted out like, rude, arrogant, annoyed, disrepectful comments. What should i do?

My Daughter just graduated from High School, and living with us, that was my choice and her stepDad, we don't have the money to send her to college and she doesn't want to get a loan from the goverment grant either. See what I mean, she's just full of it. No comment sense, most of the time I just rather not talk to her, she her doctors and friends that I'm easiely upset by her, can anyone blame me? It's her attitude that throw me off. And her Stepdad too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• She's 18, she can get a job and start helping around the house or find another place to live
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My dd has a roomate. I would not allow her to live in my house and make me unhappy.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 1:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't really understand your question...be a little more coherent next time, please?

At 18, she can and should get a job. Jobs are tough to find right now, so if she can't find one, she should be doing some kind of volunteer or job shadow opportunity.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You complain about your daughter not having any common sense, yet you can't even ask a question and make sense. Wonder where she gets it from?
    Anonymous

• Oh wait my bad, you said she doesn't have any "comment" sense...
    Anonymous

• Smack her around a couple of times when she gives you lip

Miss attitude should know better if you taught her right from the beginning.
    Anonymous

• Well not to brag but my high school graduate will be attending college. He starts a new part time on Wednesday. ITs in chosen field. His other part time gave him a scholorship. He doesnt give attitude, because he knows the consequences.

A freind of mine said its because he's a boy. I think its because I am was a mean bitchy mom. With rules, and consequences. Damn I knew I was doing it all wrong.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 12:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Make her get a job, make her pay for her own personal items & clothes, give her a deadline for getting her own apartment and encourage her to be her own person. In this house if you aren't in school & are over 18 you DO NOT live here and after college you move out in to your own space in the universe. The only adults who aren't in school who live here are hubby and I. I, personally, would have talked about college or a trade school of some sort when she was younger, it helps to have a set direction in life when you are younger. I also would have encouraged her to get a job while in high school to teach her responsibility. In making things easy for her you probably did her a terrible injustice. It's a common mistake of parents these days. Sigh.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Had a hard time understanding the question, but from it I got this.. Your daughter is lashing out at you because she likes drama?
    She's 18. They live for drama, it fills time and energy she should could be using to help you around the house or looking for a job.
    Give a few warnings, but if she keeps acting out, ignore it. When she asks for a ride somewhere, say no, whenshe asks for money, say no. Tell her when she can shape up and be an adult, then she can be treated like one. Until then, treat her like a child.
    Have to say it worked quite fast for me when I lived at home.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• my daughter just turned 18 and is going to collage, if it weren't for her moving into a dorm next month she would be finding a place to live...why? because she is arrogant and self centerd and hard to deal with. I also realize she has had crap for a dad and a step dad......she was useing my car until she screwed up and now she has a time limit with it. She can use it to go to work and straight back home.
    You have to get scary mean sometimes and put your foot down now!
    I have a 23 yr old step daughter who was 18 aand her dad didn't do shit to control her. Now she has no relationship with him...she will text me for an hour straight yet tell me she's to busy to call her dad.
    point is...if you want a future relationship you will put your foot down now! not later on in life......when it's too late
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2009