Should I be mad or let it go ???

My son is staying with my SIL in another state where we are from. Just for the summer. Well the past 2 weeks my dad has canceled taking him to see Transformers 2. Now he says next weekend. Okay a little mad since I have been telling him this week and no next week. Well I talked with my sister this morning she like yea dad is taking his girlfriend and her two kids which are about the same age as mine to see Ice Age 3. Now I'm pissed. He's even taking my sister's little girl. Hasn't even called to see if Jacob would like to go. I'm getting angry. Would you ??? He doesn't even see Jacob but once a year if that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in About CafeMom

• You should ask him over and sit down and discuss why he does this to your son, maybe it has nothing to do with your son and has something to do with you. What is your relationship with your dad are you close or has he put you on the back burner so to speak ? I would talk to him about it or I would remove yourself and your son from his life and see how he likes that. If he cant treat you and your siblings kids the same then he doesn't need to be in your life it will only hurt your son and he will grow up remembering how grandpa treated him bad and was nice to his cousins and girlfriends kids.
    Anonymous

• Can you ask your dad why he is disapointing your son?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I will but he will just turn it around . By saying I'm acting like a baby. He does that. I will say something but don't want to come across as sounding like a brat. If that makes since.
    Anonymous

• No don't let him turn this around on you.Parents have a way of trying to treat you like they did when you were little and if it wasn't a pleasant up bringing then don't allow him to treat you bad in your adult life and especially your son. I would say hey, dad we need to talk and when he says about what just say you should come over on such and such day or whatever and get him to come talk with you. If he refused then I would keep my distance from him and make him relize that you really did need to talk to him. If he does come over first thing tell him your not going to allow him to minimize the way you feel by saying that your acting like a baby! You haven't been a baby for awhile now you are a grown women with a child and that is why you want to speak to him. Tell him exactly how you feel with out arguing and if he doesn't seem to want to make changes then tell ok, well you leave me no choice and keep your distance from him
    Anonymous

• how old is your son? Does he behave well in the theatre? I have nine grandkids and know which ones I can take to the movies and which ones I cannot. I have 2 that are adhd and the experience isn't fun for us. I usually have to wait for the dvd's for those two. Just call dad and ask him what's up. Don't do it an attitude, just see what day he is taking him to the movie bc he's coming home soon and tell him the child would be disappointed if he didn't have a day out with grandpa. We old folks fall for that crap!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Talk to him about it, tell him how he feels. If he doesnt like it then he doesnt have to see him anymore. i would be pissed if my dad kept doing that to my kid, i understand spending time alone with each grandchild but putting one off then doing something with all of them except yours is ridiculous and hurtful.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you could try asking him when he is taking the other kids to IA2 and then ask him when hes taking your son to Transformers. You see dads who are divorced from the moms giving broken promises and how much it hurts the child, he probably feels bad and sad that hes not being involved with stuff. never tell a child you will do something and then dont do it, it hurts them far worse than if your husband breaks a promise to you, becuase they dont understand why they are doing it, they think its their fault.
    Anonymous

• My son is 10 . I do not live in the same state so we don't see each other but may be once a year. We use to talk on the phone everyday. Till he got a new job. But then he called me at night 2-3 a week. He has a girlfriend he started dating like three or 4 moths ago. Then the calls a once every other week. He's putting her first and her kids. Then his own grandson. I will take all advice I thought about just cussing him out but that won't work. lol So I thought I will give him 1 more chance and if he cancels the next one . I will tell him to forget it . And don't call me to arrange anything else.
    Anonymous

• That is rough. I know it's hard, but I think it's always better for us to just forgive them. Holding anger only hurts the person who has to keep that anger. I don't have much advice, but that seems to help me in situations where I want to stay mad.
    Jeanere

Answer by Jeanere at 2:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• How hard is it though to call a couple times a week or at least once a week just to check in and all that jazz. i make sure i call my dad becuase he forgets and works a lot, but he would never not visit me, he lives 4 hrs away and visits every other month or so. I know its hard not to talk to him a lot, but maybe he will realize your serious.
    Anonymous