Does anyone else actually HAVE Asperger's or autism themselves?

Everything I see on here is about mom's who's KIDS have autism...but what about adults? Why is this never talked about? I have Asperger's and I found out that it's pretty rare to even be able to find a psychiatrist who works with adults that are autistic. It kind of seems like people assume that autistic kids grow out of it or something?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Health

• It isn't talked about because the focus is on children and early intervention. Apparently people believe this is a new thing and that it wasn't around before like 1995 or something. I have autism too and have been treatment free my entire life. The few times I went to see a psychiatrist for other issues it didn't work out (due to mother issues though). There is a group on Babycenter where us moms with autism talk. A few of them are seeking out treatment as adults. If you ever need to talk feel free to send me a message.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Check out some of the Aspie/Autie boards like wrongplanet.com or Aspies for Freedom. :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• wrongplanet.com....that sounds about right LOL! I'll go look at it now :) Thanks.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Actually it's wrongplanet.net.......in case anyone else wanted to check it out.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't but I'm pretty sure that my mother does.
    Anonymous