What could this pain be? (breastfeeding question)

I noticed about two days ago whenever my DD latches onto my right breast it hurts SO bad. It's only the nipple, not the whole breast. My left breast doesn't hurt at all. Her latch is fine and she's almost 10 months. It also hurts when I pump. Does anyone know what this could be? It kind of feels like the entire nipple is bruised from the inside (if that makes any sense) I asked this question in a breastfeeding group and am waiting for a response...so if any of you have any thoughts or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

chairhead28

Asked by chairhead28 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds kinda like thrush.
    Anonymous

• I thought thrush had like white discharge and my DD's mouth would be white? I could be wrong though. And I thought the nipple was supposed to be hot to the touch and it's not.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• baby could have white spots in mouth or not, it could be the beginning of thrush..

Anonymous

• I'm thinking improper latch and soreness. Lanisoh or whatever that product is is wonderful. If you can switch sides and worse case scenario- contact a lactation nurse. They are wonderful.
    SwiftFolk

Answer by SwiftFolk at 2:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It's not a wrong latch, I don't think. I've seen a LC before and she said that the latch is fine (that was 2 months ago though) My DD used to have a wrong latch and my nipples were bleeding, cracked and sore. This is more like a burning/bruised type feeling on just one nipple.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Happened to me. It was a mild yeast infection in my breast. It never spread to DS, if it did his body fought it no problem.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 2:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I had gotten that too when I was nursing but it eventually went away. My son and I had seemed fine it just felt the same way you described. Wish I could help but I would use the Lansinoh cream too and it does help a little.
    Softwater

Answer by Softwater at 4:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I've never had thrush but it soundslike that could be it
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2009