What's it like living on a military base?

I might be heading that way...

L33Tmom

Asked by L33Tmom at 2:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• well.....some of the best friends we ever made were from our base housing community. Where I lived they had crappy houses and nice houses we lucked out and got a really nice one. alot of people I know hated living there but I loved it. what exactly do you want to know?
    newmama008

Answer by newmama008 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I like it. This is the first time we've actually lived on base since he's bee in but I'm enjoying it. My house is very old, but big enough for the 4 of us plus pets. There have been weeks where I don't even have to leave base. BX, Commissary, hospital, parks, pool, etc..

This question will be very subjective though. Depends on base, rank, blah, blah.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Not to different from living anywhere else. You have to show ID to get through the gate, and your car has to be registered with the military. Some housing is really nice, some is terrible, just depending on the base. My current base, Bangor Sub Base in WA, has nice housing that is really smushed together; we live in apartment style housing, but the 3 bed and up are town houses. We have a commissary (grocery store) and NEX (department store) that are tax free. Our base also has a McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Subway, movie theater ($3 for a double feature!) bowling alley and daycare center. Oh and barber shop, post office, laundromat, gym/pool, cafe.

Some people like living on base and some do not. I enjoy it because it's easier to meet people, there are playgrounds everywhere. I can walk to all of those amenities. When my husband's on off-crew he can walk to work. I also feel safer when he's out to sea.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Oh I should add that the base that we were at their housing was actually off of base...it was right down the road so you didnt have to show you're id everytime you went there. There were base police that patrolled the area and if we were in an exercise then they would put the gate up and make you show id. I really liked that about it you never had to wait in line to go home. But in the housing area they had gas stations, movie theatre, schools, tons of parks, and a swimming pool.
    newmama008

Answer by newmama008 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• From a kids perspective...I LOVED IT!!! Instant friends becuse all the kids move a lot like you so they open up real fast and are very excepting. WE were free to raom all over. The movies were cheap. So was the bowling alley and the commisary! I know my mom liked it.....but I was a kid, so those are my kid reasons ;)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• ^^^^I agree with momof, I loved growing up on base.

It does vary from base to base, but there is usually lots of cheap or free things to do. The last base I was at was in Hawaii, and had a great beach!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Awesome :) In the Army anyway... at every commissary in the country... There is this voice that says "Next Please" when you are checking out. I miss the voice... Really badly. We are in a duty right now that keeps us away from a post. I miss the housing, the tax free benefits and the security of it. Please pm me any time especially if you find out where you are going!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I love living on base. We've lived on 4 different bases and loved each one. The type and quality of house you get does vary base to base, but most bases are or have renovated houses within the past 5-10 years. I love the safety and the convenience of it. We are on a smaller base right now, but we still have a commissary, BX, shopette/gas station, library, pool, gym, movie theater (ours is free!), bowling alley, food court with many food options, burger king, etc. It's great having the military community around you too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thanks for all the answers! I've heard from others that it was miserable so it's good to hear so much positive feedback. I'll update you on where I'll be going when I know. Thanks again!
    L33Tmom

Answer by L33Tmom at 10:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• It depends on who you are. I would recommend staying as far from your neighbors as possible. The crap they let in the military today is less than ideal. It's like being in high school or middle school in a small town everyone is itching to know your business. The housing we live in isn't too bad. There isn't a ton of traffic and i feel like we're some what out off the beaten path. Which is really rare in southern california. It takes a million years to get anywhere because the speed limits are so slow. My husband works 3 miles from here and it takes him more than 15 minutes to get to work. There is good and bad that goes with living on a base and just having to live a military lifestyle.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 11:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2009