How do i get my 2 year old to stay in bed?

My son has been a great sleeper since the day he was born. He has always slept in his own room in his crib. I would lay him down and he would go right to sleep. He was great. His father and I have recently seperated, and he has been moved to a big boy bed. Now i cant get him to go to bed and stay in bed if my life depened on it. He wants to be rubbed or rocked, and it takes forever. I am going to lose my mind. I dont know what else to do, I have tried everything I can think of. His father says he goes right to bed with no problems for him, but for some reason at my house, when it is bed time all hell brakes lose. He screams and kicks and cries...I need help. Does anyone have any suggestions...im willing to try anything!

MamosGeorge

Asked by MamosGeorge at 2:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him fall asleep before hitting the bed, this is what we do, our son falls asleep reading a book in our bed or on the couch then once he's out we move him to his bed and he stays there the whole night. Make sure he's sleeping with a blanket he knows, we learned the hard way that a new blanket isn't a good idea because he doesn't know it. Also you could try closing the door and forcing him to sleep in his own bed, the only thing with that is it could last really long or he'll fall asleep by the door or on the floor which isn't always a good idea.
    Anonymous

• For my daughter (who's 3 now), I would just grab a book and read while she was going to sleep. For a few days, I laid on her bed with her, then I moved to the floor right by her bed, then in the middle of her room...it worked eventually. She's still pretty attached to me and there are nights she just gets too too tired and has to have me in there with her.

Good luck!
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 2:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• put him back in the crib..he'll feel safe and secure in there my 2 yr old is still in a crib
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 3:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I sit and read 3 books she wants me to read. Then I tell her to climb into bed, "blow" out the light and say nynite. If I stay in there it's horrible!!! I blow her kisses as I walk out of her room and wave bye-bye and say nite nite! She blows kisses back and I shut the door. I do reopen the door when I go to bed after she's asleep, but it keeps her from roaming around. She stays in her bed, there are no toys in her room either.
    I had a very hard time about 2 months ago with her kicking and screaming and everything at bedtime. Her daddy came back on R&R, then left and she was having seperation issues. This method works the best for us right now.... GL! I hope everything calms down soon!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009