Long car ride with 3 month old?

We are taking a 6-7 hour car trip with our 3 month old son. First of all does anyone have tips to keep him happy in the car. We know we will have to stop more often for diaper changes and whatnot but we don't want to make this a 9 hr trip at the same time. Second of all I am notorious for overpacking. We'll be there for 4 days so how much should I pack for him?
Thanks!

Nesa_Z

Asked by Nesa_Z at 2:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i took my daughter on a 7 hour trip when she was two months old and i was breastfeeding! It went ok i was extremely nervous. At that age they are not really entertained with toys so theres nothing to really make it easier . keep a pacifier handy and it helped when she was crying if i could get in the backseat and sit with her so leave a spot for you to sit in !! good luck!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 3:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I dont think it will be as bad as you think hon. Does your baby like to sleep in the car? thats a plus. But as far as entertainment, a mirror is the best thing ever lol. Portable dvd player nd baby einstien or similar videos. as for packing, depending on how often your child spits up(which may be a lil more on long car ride) pack alot of bibs to protect the outfits you take. Then I always travel with at least one extra outfit(so perday pack an extra) so that way if they poop or pee or spit up on it, yu have a change for that day. So in total for that many days, I would pack at least 2 outfits per day, and try to pack things like onsies and shorts, and long soft pants. these can double for pj's. try diff ways to pack the clothing too. For example instead of folding, try rolling the clothing up or vice versus, so you can bring more to avoid doing laundry. have fun, you'll do fine. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I took my 9 day old baby on a 6 hour drive. She slept the whole time. Since then she's made the same trip 4 more times and goes for a 2 hour drive at least once a month and she's only seven months old. Trick is to do most of your driving at night. I only stop for diaper changes and hop in the backseat with her to feed her. She's totally adapted to the Griswald family vacations.
    Rockermom72

Answer by Rockermom72 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• mine slept the whole time. we had music playing and stopped to feed her and change her. we went on a 10 hour trip though, during the day. it was fine.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 8:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Babies are SO very portable and flexible and easy to keep happy. Just take the basics that you use everyday, and sit with her. My kids all went on long trips...lots of them. That's the best time to do it! Once they start walking and talking, it's a whole different picnic! We had many Griswald family vacations, and they still like to look at the photos and show their friends the camping trips, hunting trips, and hikes they went on when they were only weeks or months old! Make those memories, and roll with the flow!
    islandwalker

Answer by islandwalker at 6:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the advice! I think this will go more smoothly than I expect
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 1:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009