What can I do about my 1 month old to quit spitting up so much?

She eats nothing but breast milk, I nurse her and bottle feed her, and she spits up 1-4 times within an hour after eating. I dnno what to do.

Goodolgirl

Asked by Goodolgirl at 2:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was just diagnosed with acid reflux and spitting up alot is a hius symtom. I would call her doc and have her seen hon because its really painful for them, even if they dont cry alot.
    Feel free to email me for the things we are doing to help our son. even if its not reflux, these things have improved the spitting up dramatically. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Put her in a bouncy seat for 30 minutes after eating.
    Anonymous

• A bouncy seat will only shake her up and make her wanna spit up. Just burp her and keep her upright or slanted for a while after eating.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My 1 month old son was having that problem. He would spit up about half of what he would eat so I started adding 1 teaspoon of rice cereal per ounce of milk to thicken it and prop him up on a pillow for at least 30 minutes after he eats. So far it's worked even though the doctors advise you not too because "they're too young and it'll make them fat" but in my opinion i'd rather have a slightly chubby baby than a starving puking baby.
    JennBroome

Answer by JennBroome at 6:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You should talk to your doctor about it. If your baby is gaining weight and seems happy and full, then you might not have to do anything about it. My oldest did the same thing, and I sometimes wondered if she was even keeping anything down. It seemed like she was spitting up everything she had just eaten. But she was gaining weight, and the doctor told me that she was fine. I would sit with her upright for a good while after she ate, and she would just sit there and spit up.
    But, you should talk to your doctor about it, because it might be an acid reflux problem.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009