How does my child stop being bullied in school ?

The entire last school year was a daily struggle due to being bullied and called very degrading names. Unfortionately the culprit will be in her class again this up coming school year so she will have to deal with him again. I would like her to be better able to stand up for herself and hopefully able to stop the taunting.

Tamiami

Asked by Tamiami at 2:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I THINK THE PERSON EITHER LIKES HER AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO TELL HER IN A RESPECTFUL WAY, OR DOES THAT FOR ATTENTION TO SHOW OTHERS THAT HE IS NOT BE MESSED WITH. IF TELLING THE PRINCIPAL DOESN'T WORK THAN PUT YOUR CHILD IN BOXING OR KARATE TO SCARE THE PERSON OFF OR JUST ENCOURAGE HER TO KEEP HER STRONG AS SHE GO THROUGH THE DAY
    MS.AVON1

Answer by MS.AVON1 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I worked in the school system last year and the best thing i can tell you is to go to the principal before school starts and talk to them. Let them know that you will not tolerate your child to be bullied and that many schools (all of them should be in on this but i dont know) have a ZERO tolerance policy for this type of thing and if he cant protect your child from such a horrible thing that you will have to look into legal options to fix the problem. With all of the school shootings that have happened teachers are obligated to stop all bullying at any level when they see it and the problem is many of them turn a blind eye unless you step in and insist the school fix the problem. I know that teachers dont always see and hear things but there are enough adults in schools (including bus drivers) that this problem should not occur and when it does they can put a stop to it.
    Be strong and do what you have to do to help your child
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Well..My son just went through the same thing at his new school where we just moved to. He's 10yrs.old and has high functioning Autism. He couldn't wait to ride the school bus for the first time( I drove him at his last school) After just 2 weeks he was afraid to ride the bus because he was getting teased. I was so !@#@#$$^ mad that I went to school the next day, and raised holy hell !! I also had the kids teasing him brought into the school office and had the principal talk to them right in front of us and all the kids walking in the hall outside the office. We were fine from there on in. That is something I will not put up with .
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 4:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• She needs to tell a teacher or another adult as soon as something happens. She also needs to not let the kid doing the bullying know that it bothers her. If she doesn't respond they will get bored and move on to someone else. My son was bullied at school by a group of kids and he told his teacher and she went into action immediately. She got the all the kids involved together and they had a talk about respect, friendships, and feelings. This worked. She kept the parents out of the conversation, only the principal was involved (she informed us of what happened after). My son actually became friends with one of the kids after this. My son's school has a NO tolerance policy for bullying and kids can be expelled for this action. NO child should be bullied and until parents and other adults teach children that it is wrong, it will keep happening.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Most schools have a zero tolerance policy on bullying. Has anyone in the school administration been notified?

There is a ton of great information here: www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My daughter is still in therapy because of a bully. Don't let it persist talk to the principal and have her class changed.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• my 5yr old son was bullied in his catholic school for over a year yet the school did nothing! some of the teachers reflected verbal bullying behaviour towards him in front of me. i went to the head teacher who is the first point of call if not the form teacher and its meant to be dealt with. the head teacher is supposed to implement the schools 'anti-bullying policy' which you can pick up on request from the school office. every school should have one, but not all implement them. if their are problems with the head or she doesn't sort the problem out, you can write a letter to the 'chair of governors' and hand this in to the school office. i have an online petition-Online petition - Ensure that the anti-bullying policy is fully implemented in all schools
    emzc

Answer by emzc at 6:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2010