Do you say "4 letter words infront" of your kids or do you say the PG version of it

For me going "oh sh*t is a reaction when something goes wrong. Some other mom said you should say oh shoot. I think there isnt that much of a difference between the two. so do you use words like gosh darn it or shoot instead of the curse word infront of your kids

herstory50

Asked by herstory50 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I do, because those are not words I want her going to daycare with. You may not think its a big difference for an adult, and really its not. But for a child there is a very large difference in saying shoot or shit, and other phrases of that nature, and they will always copy what you say.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• LOL AT TIMES BUT APOLOGIZE IF IT SLIPS IN FRONT OF UR CHILD, U DON'T WANT UR CHILD GOIN IN PUBLIC SAYIN DAT, IT'S EMBARRASSING
    MS.AVON1

Answer by MS.AVON1 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The more people are around adult language, the more they are inclined to use it, and in my opinion, it is very unattractive when a child cusses. So I don't use that language, and I insisted that my husband not use it in the house. There are better ways to express myself.

Answer by Bmat at 3:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't because my son copies everything we say, my DH dropped a can on his foot the other day and said "aww F*ck" and my son said "F*uck" so we say things like "oh snap" or "son of a book" so then our son says "book" LOL. He just turned 2 so he soaks EVERYTHING up!
    Anonymous

• I have never said a curse word in front of my children or even to this day at age 30, have never said one in front of my parents...its a level of respect and I wasnt brought up around it, so its easy for me not to use them.
    Anonymous

• i really try to watch my mouth, but hey i am not perfect.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't say foul words and don't use other word to replace them. My parents never used that type of language and I never have either. I think it sounds very trashy to hear anyone use the words and really feel for kids with moms that cannot control their own mouths.
    Anonymous

• I try to stop saying them but its so darn hard. Now my daughter falls and goes oh shit. I changing my talking because I notice she is picking it up I hope she can change it.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Sure do. I don't curse like a sailor, but if I happen to say one I don't feel bad about it. Guess that makes me a horrible mom, huh? If the child is very young and just learning to talk then no, but for an older child like 4 and up I don't see the problem, you just teach them that they are 'adult words' so they aren't allowed to use them until they are an adult. Sorry but my kids aren't going to get to do everything I do just because they see me do it. Adults are allowed to do things that children aren't, period.
    Anonymous

• The strongest "curse word" I say is "hell", and I occasionally say in front of my daughter, but I try not to. I try to say "heck" instead. Her daddy, on the other hand, has a potty mouth! I'm constantly reminding him to clean up his language in front of our 12 month old.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009