Question about Unemployment

I just lost my job today. I only worked part time, between 10-15 hours a week. Can I file for unemployment even though I only worked that little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• IM NOT SURE BUT IT'S ALWAYS IMPORTANT 2 HAVE A SIDE JOB.IF U THINK U WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SELLING AVON (A BUSINESS WHERE U ARE UR OWN BOSS, PLAN WHEN U WOULD LIKE TO WORK,HOW MUCH U WOULD LIKE TO MAKE AND HAVE A 24 HR WEBSITE
    GO TO WWW.YOURAVON.COM/SJOHNSON7769 AND CLICK ON 'BECOMING A REPRESENTATIVE'
    MS.AVON1

Answer by MS.AVON1 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Check in your state about unempolyment...here in Flordia you have to be laid off. If fired or you just quiet you can not get unempolyment. Look in your state to see if you can get it.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 3:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear that. This website has a lot of helpful advice for getting a new job. http://bit.ly/GIq01(Sorry I had to shorten it because it had all of those random numbers with it.) Good luck! I don't know about filing for unemployment though. It seems like you'd be able to if your family really needs the money.
    Jeanere

Answer by Jeanere at 3:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• In Illinois, it is sometimes possible to collect soem unemployment when you have had a reduction in income. You may also qualiffy for food stamps.
    It is definitely time to kickstart your job search. I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• yea in my state its not really the hours you worked but the quarters...you only get 40% of what you were making tho...40 or 60..im not quite sure...but its only a fraction, and its a LONG process...good luck with everything!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It's usually based on how much you made during a period they specify, usually like the last calendar yr or something. I would say apply and see what they say. Worst that can happen is they say you aren't eligible b/c you didn't earn enough, and then you just wasted some time applying.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It all depends what state u live really. I am currently unemployed myself but I have about a month 1/2 to go before its up and I've been on ot since March!! If I were you I would just apply it helped me alot.But good luck to you!!
    Anonymous