Do you celebrate Christmas if you are not Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes.  I am Pagan, Eric is Agnostic leaning towards Christianity...much of our family is some variation of Christian.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 3:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes.
    I was raised christian, its tradition. My children celebrate it and Yule(pagan holiday that comes just a few days before christmas). Its a time of fun and family...nothing more.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I do. For me it's all about the family time, decorations, presents, music festivities but Jesus gets left out.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes, but I call it the Sacrifice of the Tree. I say we are grateful to mother earth for giving us trees etc. to build houses etc. Jesus wasn't even born on Dec. 25 anyway. I think history shows he was born sometime in July.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I'm not religious, but I like singing Christmas songs, the tree, the presents, the family get-togethers.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I hate Xmas, but the kids of course love it so we celebrate it as a secular family holiday.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• We celebrate Yule
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I guess. If by celebrate you mean go see family and give/get gifts while stuffing my face. lol
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• When we lived near family we would celebrate Christmas with them. Now that we don't have extended family near us we celebrate Yule. We still play Christmas music, it is beautiful. If someone says "Merry Christmas to me" I say "Merry Christmas" back to them
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I do because it is a commercial holiday that has become a part of social traditions of our society. Therefore, that is why many people, Christian and non-Christian alike, celebrate it.

I choose to also observe Jesus' birth at Christmas, although I know he was not born December 25th. I think it is a nice time to reflect on his entrance into the world.

Many Christians do NOT celebrate Christmas because of its pagan roots. Christmas was instituted by Catholicism as a way to make Christianity more attractive to Pagans. Many Pagan traditions were kept as a part of Christmas with the agreement that the meaning would be changed to celebrate Jesus' birth (i.e. Church of Scotland -the original Presbyterian church, does not celebrate Christmas). Other groups, such as JW's believe that the celebration of birthdays are also Pagan in root and don't celebrate their on birthday's let alone Jesus' "birthday" (Christmas).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009