starting solids

ok so we have started solids! I am still breastfeeding and right now i am feeding her 2 stage 1 jars a day with 1 teaspoon of rice ceral in each. she is almost 6 months old. is this too much should i feed her more ?? whats the regular amount??

nursinghannah

Asked by nursinghannah at 3:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know if there is a "regular amount" or not...When my daughter was that young I was breastfeeding her and also giving her what seems to be about the same thing you are. The way I look at it is that if she wasn't hungry she wouldnt eat it. :)
    breannajeansmom

Answer by breannajeansmom at 3:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I'd give less. Before a year, solids are for play and texture. They're of no nutritional and are actually bad for baby's tummy before AT LEAST 6 months.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• if she's 6 months, I would say it's ok if BM is given first...use the solids as a "dessert" not a replacement.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have a 5 month old who is also just beginning to enjoy cereals and a little bit of veggies. I make my own, though, but still mixes the homemade fruit purees and veggies with a little gerber cereal and breastmilk. She really likes it, but breastmilk is still her major source of food.
    At this age, the cereals, should only be a second source of food, and for practice, but I don't agree with jus1jess, who says it is not of nutritional value.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Oh, by the way, if you are interested in making your own babyfood, the book "First meals", by Annabel Karmel is very good. It tells you everything you need to know. You can probably find it at the library.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009