How should I encourage my son to not be so clingy?

My 9 month old is very clingy to me, and he cries as soon as I put him down. He has not yet begun to crawl. He gets on all fours and rocks back and forth and he does go backwards. My in-laws are giving me grief because he has not yet crawled. He does however like to stand up and be walked around. I need some reassurance that he will be crawling soon. I'm tired of people saying mean things as to the reason why he's not crawling yet. If you could, just give me some helpful tips to get him going :)

aserran4

Asked by aserran4 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ignore people, you really can't make them crawl faster they are going to do it when they are ready to
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• boy kissing momIgnore them is right! My ds is 12 and hardly even wants me to come near him. Honey bunny, time flies and one day you will long for the time he wanted to "cling" to his mommy!

writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thanks guys! This is helping me already, it put a smile on my face :)
    aserran4

Answer by aserran4 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• A 9 month old is supposed to be clingy. He's a baby. You're his mother. Crawling happens at different times for all babies. The 2 aren't connected. And you shouldn't worry about his normal attachment. It's only a problem if you make it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Who knows, maybe your baby will skip crawling and go straight to walking! I got SO sick of people telling me I wasn't helping my son with talking and I didn't talk enough in front of him. People even told my mom I needed to be working with him and it was obvious I wasn't. He didn't start talking until 2 1/2 and is perfectly normal. He was just waiting until he could get it right. All babies crawl when they are ready and some never do!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• After he crawls, they'll say "When's he gonna walk?" After that, "When's he gonna talk?" After that, "When's he gonna dress himself?" After that, "When's he gonna potty train?" It never stops with the "helpful" people. LOL! Let it roll off of you, "like water on a ducks back!" LOL! I'm glad you are feeling better. We're right here with you, Mama!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Just keep practicing with him. It is very imprtant for babies to crawl. When babies crawl they make a cross motion with their arms and legs, which builds crucial connections between the right and left side of the brain. These connections are important for further gross motor development, and it has even been linked to spelling abilities later in life.
    It has to be the "old fashioned" crawl, though.
    The way you are descrbing him, it sounds like he is very close to crawling. Don't give up, since it is so very important. He will learn to walk soon enough, so please don't push that until he has learned how to crawl.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone and not all babies do it.
    Your baby loves you and knows that you love him and expresses it the only way that he knows how.
    Your husband needs to tell his parents that they raised their children their way, and you are raising your child your way.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I really thought I had heard just about everything, but I was wrong. Lots of babies never do a traditional crawl. My 1st started scooting at 4 or 5 months & that boy never slowed down long enough to do the "old fashioned" crawl & he's 8 now & got an A in spelling! LOL! Listen, seriously, I can empathise with you. My 2nd kid didn't walk until she was almost 2. Everyone (except my mom & in-laws, who are smart) was constantly saying that there was something wrong with her legs. I would very openly & exaggeratedly roll my eyes at them & sigh. You have to make it say 'I can't believe there is another moron out there who is telling me this crap!' & I'll tell ya how to get a baby out of your lap. Hold him. If you hold him all the time, he'll actually get bored after a while & start diving for the floor. As soon as he figures out there is so much stuff to eat down there, he'll be gone!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2009