Would you take your kids?

My cousin is supposed to have a July 4th bbq tomorrow. Her daughter was diagnosed with strep today and started on antibiotics. We are supposed to go there with our 5 y/o, 2y/o and newborn. There are 27 people in total invited. I am not so sure I want to risk exposing myself, my kids, or anyone else to strep at this point. Do you think I should not go? Or do you think it doesn't really matter b/c she'll have been on antibiotics for 24 hours. I am more worried about my cousin and her husband having been exposed and possibly exposing us or the newborn.

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't go, first off you have a newborn and the smoke from fireworks is really really bad. Why not just have a little BBQ at your own home then go to a parking lot close to the firework show and watch from your car? That is what we do, we have a lot of family and you never know what the little ones can get, we always say no because both of our families think it's ok to be around sick people. Just avoid it this year and see what happens next year, it really is up to you, but in my opinion I wouldn't go because of the newborn.
    Anonymous

• The little girl will not be contagious after 24 hours of antibiotics. It's up to you though whether you should go or not. And whether or not the parents have been exposed it's not that big of a deal. Strep is caught when someone coughs in your face and spews spit on you or you share a drink. It's not air born.
    Anonymous

• I would not go! Is it really worth getting your new born baby sick! She shouldnt be having a party either her kid is really sick! antibiotics or not
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 3:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't go. Besides the risk of infection, which is very slight, fireworks are very noisy and might frighten little ones.

Answer by Bmat at 3:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• call your dr's office (or ER nurse) and ask

Answer by admckenzie at 4:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would go but ask that the girl not be all in the baby's face. the parents SHOULD understand. Same with the parents. Just tell them that the baby is still little and your a little paranoid that he/she might catch step from them as they may have it to and not know it yet. laugh it off and enjoy yourself. Or as an above poster said call a nurses line and get there opinion. Most insurance companies have one.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would not go with a newborn. Who knows who else has been exposed. If it had been a few days ago I'd be more inclined to say it's not as big of a deal because by then anyone who had been exposed would have symptoms. What is the incubation period of strep? I mean, how long could the mother or father be infected without knowing it before they start to feel symptoms?

I don't really think it's worth the risk.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Why punish the other kids because the newborn might get sick? One parent stay home and the other go with the older ones. Especially if the oldest knows about the party. Talk about starting that relationship badly by saying 'I'm sorry honey but we can't go to this party you are all excited about because so n so is sick and your brother/sister might catch it.
    Anonymous

• I agree if you're worried about the newbron (which personally I would be too) don't punish the older kids by making everyone stay home, especially if they know about it and are looking forward to it. Have someone stay back with the baby, or leave her with a sitter, and let the older 2 go to the party.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• As long as the child has been on antibiotics for 48 hours, she is no longer contagious.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009