Is it safe to not gain weight during pregnancy if you're overweight and losing weight as the baby grows?

Like, say, the baby is growing at a healthy pace, is the size it should be, but the mother weighs 175lbs and is working out and is technically losing weight, but you can't tell because the baby is growing? Kind of like they're canceling each other out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes you can.....With my son I weighed less at 9 months pregnant than I did when I became pregnant. I'm also currently 13 weeks with my second and I'm down about 6 pounds, I asked my OB if it's okay to do that, and he said, as long as I don't overdo it and the baby is growing and measuring fine, since i'm already overweight there is no problem with it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yes, it can be safe. I actually lost 20 lbs from my first appt at 5w to my last appt at 40+w with my first baby. With the second I maintained my weight per my Drs instructions and I maintained with my third as well. I had healthy babies who weighed 7lb 7oz, 8lb 3/4oz, and 8lb 1/2 oz. Because of my morning sickness I could really only eat healthier foods, lots of fruits and veggies. If the baby is growing well it is okay to not gain weight, as long as your Dr is okay with it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Ok good! I just hate the thought of being 200 pounds at the end of my pregnancy! I rather stay the 175lbs, and worry about losing it later. I figure I have enough body fat to help the baby grow and everything. And after he's born, I can workout more vigorously and lose more weight.
    Anonymous