My kids like to fight. Any one have tricks to help it stop or decrease. They are 4, 5 1/2 and 8

anjela525

Asked by anjela525 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I ask my kids, how would you feel if Dad and I fought like that all the time and you had to sit around and see people you love being terrible to each other. Then my husband and I started calling each other names and stuff and it made my kids upset. It worked for a while and then they were back to being kids. Still, my husband and I start the whole discussion over again when things get bad and it does seem to calm them down and lets them see how it makes us feel.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• This used to work for us, we had our kids wash windows together. One on the inside one on the outside of the same window, ground floor and basement windows only. They usually started out still fighting but by the time they got to the second or third window they were laughing with each other. I would make sure it is the older one on the step ladder, if it is all 3 fighting the 3rd child could be in charge of running the paper towels/and window cleaner back and forth. Just a sidenote newspapers work great to clean window in place of paper towels!
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 4:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Separate the kids and once they have calmed down have them each write (or think up) 5 things they like about each or their siblings. when they are done you will review the list and make sure that they are 'legit' ;0) When they are done they can regroup and start over next offense make it 7new things then 9 new things so on. Start over the next day at 5. This has worked for mine so far. In fact we are down to one list a day (most of the time)
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is an asswer for this one. siblings have been fighting from the begining of time.
    but I have a funny story. my girls were about 10 and 11. they wouldn't stop fighting so I made then hold hands on one side and tied those hands together. I told them to go out and play together like that until they got along. aleast I got them to laugh together for an hour, and now their friends have a remember when story to laugh about too . They are now 22 and 23 and they get along well for the most part.
    indesperateneed

Answer by indesperateneed at 10:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• We've had days were the majority of their time was spent in timeouts.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2009