Christians that believe in heaven and hell how much of your religion is about hell?

I keep reading post with statements like I can't stand it when Christians tell me I am going to hell or I fear my child will be traumatized by talks of hell. The truth is, my religion doesn't talk about hell that much. Yes, it is mentioned but it is by far not the most talked about part of my religion. I wouldn't even give it a top 10 ranking.

I don't see that many post talking about eternal damnation in hell either. How many of you practice a religion with a huge focus on hell?

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 4:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We very rarely talk about hell. Its mentioned during a sermon from time to time....but we have no "fire and brimstone" sermons so to speak.

Anonymous

• Same here. Sermons are more about our relationship with God instead of scaring people into believing.
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 4:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• we talk about living for Jesus not dying for him

we talk about living like Jesus not consequences if we don't.

We talk about miracles of God, not acts of the devil.

We talk about love of Christ not fear Satan
    Anonymous

• Not much focus. We're kind of unique in that we believe there is a portion of salvation for almost everyone (except for the uber-evil) - not necessarily all the glory of the right-hand of God, but something.

But we do believe some people will spend some time (I don't know what that means on an eternal time scale) in Hell before the final judgment and all that happens.

Mostly - I don't tell people they are going to Hell because that's putting myself up to God's level (where I don't belong). He's the judge, not me. And only He knows with perfect knowledge a whole person's heart and mind and history, so only He qualifies to be a perfect judge.
    Anonymous

• We go through the Bible verse by verse, so we talk about it whenever it comes up in scritpture. Every service, my pastor will give an opportunity to accept the Lord, and people respond. But I have never heard him try to scare people into it using the reality of hell. He offers them the opportunity to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. That is what will save you from hell (not a belief in hell). Although hell is a very real place, the emphasis should not be on escaping it, but on accepting Christ.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I can't tell you the last time my church taught about hell. It's kinda a "given" isn't it? We're gathered together to worship God based on his promises NOT to send us there because of our faith....why do we need to discuss it. Does fear make our faith any better? I don't think so. I also don't think faith out of fear is real faith at all.

I have a friend (Catholic) who is all OCD about the different levels of sin, praying, blessing herself, doing everything the "right way," statues/pictures/crucifixes EVERYWHERE because she's terrified of hell or going to pergatory. She is so preoccupied with these "rules" that she forgets that Jesus LOVES her.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I believe in Heaven and hell and Jesus talks about both.... but like the others say... the focus is on our relationship with God, not about being scared into relationship with God, thats definitely not a good motivater. The bible says "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. " 1 John 4:18. and its not up to others to judge your salvation Matt 7:2, Acts 10:42... Jesus is appointed as judge... not any person can judge these things.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Christians who talk about Hell,read their Bibles,that's where it's talked about,rarely in our churches.Jesus says;we should go into all the world and preach the gospel=means how to be saved and the consequences if we don't.We don't make up these things,it's all in the Bible and as Christians it's our jobs to tell people these things,it's a commandment.Though we shouldn't jam it down their throats, we should tell those who are interested but after one minute in Hell and you were taken out of it, from a near death experience you would be telling people about Hell too.How it's a real and horrific place and you wouldn't want anyone to go there,that's why we preach it because we are trying to save you from it.It's a urgent message that needs a urgent response,don't wait,till you are on your death bed to accept Christ as your savior,it might be too late and for all eternity you will be seperated from God,it's horrible to think about
    Anonymous

• I (the original poster) is Catholic. I say rosaries, The Divine Mercy Chaplet, Novenas to St. Jude, light candles, carry medal and saint cards in my purse and say the stations of the Cross. Each time I get "preoccupied" I make the sign of the cross (..and the Son(that is Jesus))and in the process I am reminded of the love God has for each of his children. I am also not terrified of hell

always have to have a slap in the face for Catholics don't you november love. Here is a challenge, go a day without making a smart remark about Catholics and try to list at east one positive thing each day for the a week.

*i just got a call my son is sick so please correct any mistakes I just made.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 4:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I wanted to add... as well. I like how one of the posts said that Jesus commands us to preach the gospel.... that is so true. We are to preach the truth..... and the truth is that when you accept God's gift of savlation it is much more than you will not go to hell. The truth is that you will become a child of God!!! that you are set free!!! Free from sinning, "It is for Freedom that Christ has set you free" You no longer have to live enslaved by sin, whcih brings you shame, guilt etc.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009