how long does it take breast milk to dry up?

My friend is pregnant, and we are talkin about whether she should breast feed or not. I did and my breasts never hurt but that may be because I slowly stopped doing it. I have heard others talk about how bad it hurt when it dried up and they didn't breast feed. We would like to know your opinion on this.

Kates1122

Asked by Kates1122 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Quickly, mine dried up within a week of stopping breastfeeding. To help use a hot or cold compress. And I think hot showers make it worse. Something about the hot water hitting your breasts kinda of keeps the milk flowing, preventing it from drying up.

Mine got really sore, but it was nothing compared to the birth.
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I stoped nursing 4 months ago, they don't hurt but I still have milk for some reason...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• it didn't take that long for either of my last two....with my dd a nurse in the hospital told me to put cabbage leaves on my breasts and bind myself.....yes!!!!....cabbage leaves!.....lol....the coolness felt really good!!!!!.....lol....then we used ace wraps and dh fashioned me a "bra".....lol.....just cahnge out the leaves every few hours or so.....with ds i wasn't able to do that but it still didn't take that long....don't remember hurting with ds (probably because i was to preoccupied with what was going on with him).....just don't use heat on them.....even the hot water running over them in the shower can keep the milk going
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 6:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009