when is the appropriate age to get my toddler out of the crib?

My son is 2 years old and I am wondering when is the appropriate age for him to be put in a "big boy bed"? He can pull himself up using only his arms and I am scare that he is going to try to escape his crib by pulling himself up and over the rail and land on his head on the way down. But just the same, I am terrified of him falling off of the bed. What should I do? Please help!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put my DD is a big girl bed at 13 months only because she would only sleep in her crib with the rail off and she wiggled and kicked too much for that small of a bed. So we bought her a twin size bed and a rail (walmart has them for $15) to keep her from falling off the bed. She loves it and I am glad we did it. She is 20 months now and have never fallen off
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• We moved our oldest from crib to twin when his baby brother was on the way. We didn't want him to feel that the baby was pushing him out of his bed.

The younger son started climbing out of the crib about age 2, so we moved him to a twin bed then.

Answer by Bmat at 4:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I agree, when they start to climb OR when they start waking at night again. My younger one never climbed, but around 2 he started waking up again and I figured it was because the baby mattress was not giving him the support he needed. We never used bed rails because he does not roll around a lot when he sleeps. I know people whose kids rolled around a lot in their sleep so they used bed rails.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• we moved my ds at 20 months to a toddler bed, only becuase it was free.... we put blankets on teh floor so if he fell it would be soft.... after 3 nights though he was good...... we need to get him a twin bed soon but are waiting for the money, probally christmas we will get him and my now 1 year old new beds though...

my sil still has her 3 year old in a crib though.. depends on what you are comfortable with
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Falling off the bed is not a very large problem - and if you are very worried, you can always put the mattress right on the floor so he only has a few inches to fall or get bed rails.
    Falling off the crib railing is a problem. If he can truly climb the railings, it's probably time to move him.
    But be aware that the largest danger of moving him from the crib is not falling out of the bed. It's a toddler with no common sense, no ability to judge danger, and a complete confidence in his abiltiy to do anything he wants being loose in the house while you are asleep. When you move him, keep in mind that he will eventually learn that he does not have to stay in bed just because you say so. He will learn that he can get up in the middle of the night and play with anything and everything he can get to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I moved my dd into a toddler bed we had gotten for free at 13 months. If your crib doesn't convert into a toddler bed, I would get a twin sized bed with bed rails. And to get him used to sleeping without the crib holding him in, put that matress on the floor so when he does fall off it's 2-3 inches.
    I do shut her in her room until she is asleep and all her toys are in the "play room"/living room so she actually sleeps. Then before I go to bed I open her door so she can get me if she gets scared or whatever.
    It does sound like it's time to move him into a different bed. It's very exciting for them as well, but I personally wouldn't invest in a toddler bed unless you get it for free! GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I just moved my 18 month old DD to a twin bed yesterday. Last night was the first night and it went great. I put up a rail and put the crib mattress on the floor just in case because the bed is a little highter than I would have liked it to be. I woke up this morning and patted myself on the back....she was on the crib mattress on the floor! I think I will be keeping it there for a while! lol :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i have one of those 3in 1 cribs crib transitional into full size my daughter was 14months i put into trans. then at 18 months put her into a full size bed cuz she kept hitting the side of the bed and couldnt sleep id go in and shed b on the floor every morning underneath her crib ever since i put her into the full size she has been doing great i didnt put rails on it cuz of it being bigger now if u dont have a 3in1 or 4in1 id go to a twin or full wicthever i wouldnt bother with the toddler beds its still the same size asa crib and if they cant sleep in that then they need more room if ur worried bout him falling get the bed rails they do work great and u wont b up all nite waiting to see if he would fall
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009