What time does your 1 1/2 to 2 year old go to bed and wake up

My son goes to bed really really late about 10 or 11 and wakes up about 8-8:30 and has 1 hour long nap. I've tried waking him up earlier but he won't get up and denying him naps but that doesn't work either. It's driving me nuts! What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well my DD goes to bed between 7-730pm and she's up by 7am. She will take an hour long nap in the morning and maybe take an hour nap in the afternoon (that really doesn't happen very often)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Kids that age should be getting 12 -14 hours of sleep. I would put your son to bed earlier if you want him up earlier. My kids all go to bed at 7 p.m. and sleep until 7 or 8 a.m. The 2 year old takes a 2 hour nap still.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my daughter goes to bed between 8pm and 10 pm.. depending on whether daddy is home and when she took her nap.
    i try to get her down by 8:30 and usually she will awaken around 7:30am. and take a nap somewhere between 11am and 1pm. She naps for 2 hours.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• if my 2 1/2 year old took a nap that day (usually close to 2 hours) she will go to sleep between 9 & 10 pm, and usually wake up around 8:30 (sometimes later if she's staying home with daddy). if she didn't take a nap, I usually put her in bed by 8:30 at the latest so she can get at least 12 hours of sleep (again, sometimes she'll sleep later). For almost a month now she has only taken a few naps and has been sleeping 12-14 hours per night without the nap in the day.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 5:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My DD is 18 months and goes to bed between 8 and 9:30 and wakes up around 7:30 or 8. She takes a two hour nap after lunch about 12:30 or 1. Its nice to back on the schedule again, for a while she was NOT wanting to go to bed early. I believe it was due to teething, she was not going to bed untill almost midnight every night for a couple of weeks and getting up at 7:30 or 8 still and only taking a two hour nap.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my 1 year old goes to bed at 9 and wakes up at 6:45...... with 2 1-3 hour naps a day... most days atleast

my now 3 year old used to go to bed at 9 and wake up at 7,, no naps...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• At a guess, I'd say he's not getting enough sleep. Overtired toddlers simply can not relax and sleep. They turn into grouchy, whiny, ping-pong balls instead. Many parents look at the child rushing around the room and say "See? He's not tired, he's full of energy." Wrong. He's full of adrenaline and is utterly exhausted. He will keep going until his body finally collapses into sleep. He will wake more easily at night and will probably wake earlier in the morning - not later.

At that age, my daughter went to bed around 7pm, took one 1.5 hour nap, and got up around 7am. If she got overtired, she would be awake until 10 and would be up at 6. She would get dark circles and bags under her eyes. Her behavior would be awful.

I suggest you try to get your son down much earlier. Pick a wake up time, stick to it. Get him down for his nap and aim for a VERY early bedtime... 8am, noonish, 7:30pm for example.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My 2.5 yr old goes to bed at 9pm and gets up at 7:30a-8a.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my 19 month old is put in bed at 10, falls asleep by midnight and is up about 8 am... sometimes it's 6am. She takes one hour long nap between 2-4. I can't get her to sleep any longer so I just figure that's how it is! The more sleep she gets, the longer she is awake the next day! She is very well behaved and when she is overly tired she cries and crashes within 10 minutes. When SO gets home from Iraq he wants her in bed by 730 but then she will be up by 4 am so we'll see what he thinks when the time comes. What works for others doesn't always work for us and if it's driving you crazy, wake him up early then put him to bed early but plan on him only sleeping the few hours. It's frustrating, but if I force her to sleep it's sooo much worse! GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My 14 month old triplets go to bed at 7:30 and are up between 7 and 8. Then they sleep from 12-2:30. Depending on what we do that day or how early they wake up, they'll take a 45 minute "cat nap" around 10.
    kaitlin06

Answer by kaitlin06 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009