Strep B testing?

At my next appt they are going to do my 9 month culture testing but they are also going to do the Strep B testing. What kind of test is it? Is it just a regular screening they do with the pap or is it a totally different procedure?

snjbjac

Asked by snjbjac at 4:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's different...it's not a big deal at all. They take a little q-tip type stick and swab from hole #1 to hole #2. It is just a bit uncomfortable but not painful and literally only takes seconds.
    Anonymous

• they will take a swab and swab your vag and then your anus and thats it. It will tell them if you have bad bacteria there and they will be able to make sure that the baby doesn't get exposed to it cuz it can make them really sick.
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Simple and easy, no worries BUT if you are positive ( I was) make sure you get your antibiotics during labor ON TIME! Mine were late and my son was so ill he was in ICU for 9 days. He is fine now, but it was a LONG 9 days. I wish I was more vocal during labor or at least made sure my husband knew to speak up on my behalf!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• yes its a simple test! but as teampalmer4 it is VERY important you get your antibiotics on time.. and even if you do , make sure you keep an eye on your baby after birth. my daughter got bactirial meningitis by the bactira Group Strep B. and she is now very disabled becasue of it
    queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 5:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Sorry to hear that Queen! Your advice is dead-on.. did not even think about warning her to look for signs after birth as well. My boy tested poorly at birth and so they treated him quickly. I was very passive during the birthing process, I wish I was more vocal!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No need to worry its very simple and if you come back positive and have a vag. delievery then they will give you IV antibiotics when you go to deliever.
    Anonymous

• I didnt even notice my dr doing the test. I was positive so as soon as my water broke I went to the hospital and they started my IV. Its not a big deal as long as you get the meds you need. I have a second cousin that is mentally challenged because they didnt use to test for Group B Strep and he got a really high fever and it basically cooked his brain so the test is very important and I am glad that it is now routine.
    Anonymous

• Thanks you were alot of help. Though I'm scared shitless now. After I asked the question I was watching the discovery health channel. They said that 70% of babies that their mother's are positive die after being born. So now I'm like freaked out. Does anybody know the odd's of being positive or what even makes you positive? So the antibiotics they give you not kill the bacteria? Sorry this is my first pregnant so I have alot of questions
    snjbjac

Answer by snjbjac at 7:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I also wanted to ad, if you are POS. your water should not be left broken for more then 12hours.
    Mine was broke for 16hrs, and I had a csection. my daughter still got the bacteria. Make sure you are on top of things!!
    queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 10:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Here's what I found from http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/groupbstrep/a/aa101397.htm

"98-99% of all babies born to infected mothers (with Strep B) will not become infected, if treated. Of those who become infected few will have any problems with the treatment for the infection. There are two types of infections: early and late.

Early infections tend to occur usually within the first six hours after birth, and most by the seventh day of life. This infection can cause inflammation of the baby's lungs, spinal cord or brain. About 15% of these babies will die from the infection."

IDK where they came up with 70%, but it seems to be completely wrong.
    mbyrer

Answer by mbyrer at 10:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009