Please share your thoughts on this... Discrimination or Not??

Pittsburgh - A health clinick fired a Roman Catholic nurse wou refused to dispense condoms and/or oral contraceptives to single people. She had worked at the clinic part time for 6 mos. when she renewed her commitment to the Catholic faith. Soon after, she informed her boss that she wanted to begin screening her patients' marital status. Otherwise, she said, she would be encouraging "the sin or fornication." Noting that 85% of their clients are single the clinic refused to reassign her and fired her when she persisted. The nurse filed a civil rights lawsuit, saying she had been discriminated because of her religious beliefs...

I don't know how it turned out. But, I wanted to know your thoughts on this...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally I see it this way... She was not discriminated upon, in fact she was trying to inforce discrimination against singles, which is what got her fired, not her faith.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No, i dont think it was discrimination. There are certain kinds of jobs were your either gonna have to put your religion aside while at work, and realize that not everyone is going to follow your beliefs and religion, or find a new job! Nobody asked her to commit the "sin", doesnt she know not everyone believes its a sin? If she cant complete part of her job responsibility because of her religion, she should look for a new job. and she should also start realizing that the catholic church is ridiculous, along with other organized religions. think for yourself.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i agree with the pp
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No. I do not believe that is discrimination. The clinic expected her to do a job. She knew what that job was or she would not have brought it up to the clinic. It's fine for people to believe whatever they want to believe. But as a result they may not be able to work wherever they want to just based on the fact that it may "go against" whatever they believe. I think it would be different if she would have started out as being Catholic and expressing to them where she stood on her beliefs. And them denying her a job because of that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think employers should be sensitive to people's core beliefs where it's reasonably possible. For example, If the clinic is big enough the nurse could have been sent to aid an orthopedic doctor or any other number of specialists, or done injections or blood draws - rather than be in charge of birth control.

But if the clinic was so small that she couldn't just go to another role, then she should just seek out a larger hospital - and the clinic could help by giving her a referral.

Common sense is needed on both sides.
    Anonymous

• I am Catholic, and while I agree with her morals I also encourage her take a job where she will not have to screen people before performing her job.
    Anonymous

• What a dumba$$!
    Anonymous

• Not discrimination- she knew (or should have known) the duties when taking the job and if she can not fulfill them, she needs to work else where!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Actually she was discriminating, not the employer. It is not her right to screen people, whether they are married or not.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• anon :37

You pretty much described what happened to me. I interned at an ad agency that had a lot of clients for a product which was against my religion. They were a small agency and couldn't afford to keep me since I didn't want to contribute to those accounts.

I understood and respected their situation, and they understood and respected mine. So we amicably parted ways with a very good reference letter in hand, and I got a job doing advertising and design work for a company with product I could easily support.

Happy ending, no law suites needed.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009