My daughter was bitten by a tick last night. Should I take her to the doctor now or wait and see if a rash develops?

jessiegilpin

Asked by jessiegilpin at 5:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Health

• i got lyme disease when i was 13. I never saw the tick, or a rash. I found out when i started to have really bad back aches and bals palsy. my 7 yr old cousin has lyme disease now but im not sure if they found a tick or not. i would probably take her to the doctor. or atleast call the doctor and ask for his opinion.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Many people who get Lyme disease don't develop the rash and many who are bit by ticks are just fine. Still, I'd take the better safe than sorry course... take her in. Have her tested.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Unfortunately, many times the lyme test is not reliable. That is info per the CDC. You can call the Colorado CDC who has more information about Lyme Disease than most doctors. When my mother contracted Lyme's many years ago, she never saw the tick. She had the proverbial bulls-eye rash and STILL the doctor would not concede.

The CDC was very helpful including mailing me a complete packet to give to the doctor (who was obviously insulted that I would attempt to educate him. LOL). He did the test and of course, like the CDC said, it came back negative, even tho she had ALL of the symptoms.

Here is an article describing their involvement, (before you pay for a doctor visit): http://www.cdcfoundation.org/frontline/2004/beyond_atlanta_a_closer_look_at_cdc_in_fort_collin

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Here is the website for the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would at least call the doctor's office and let them know. They need to be made aware of this and they may want to see her. I've never had any experience with ticks (on humans; the dog had one once) so I can't say. But I also like the advice that lifeasinoit gave you.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 7:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2009