I'm one step away from applying for PA?

I am a single parent- a junior in college with two small children. My employer just cut my hours down to 20 a week. My company only offers insurance to full time employees so I will probably lose my medial coverage. My kids go to daycare on campus so childcare is discounted, but I will no longer be able to afford it for both work and school. It seems I have a choice to make- apply for PA, stop work and finish school in a year or so OR stop school, find another part time job and finish school later.

This is a very difficult decision to make. I am 27 and have been self-sufficient since I married at age 18. My husband passed away when I was 21 in a car accident. I made the decision to finish school and have been doing fine except for the past year. It's been hard relying on family and food pantries sometimes for food but the thought of finishing college has kept me going and now it looks like I might not be able to.

Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would suggest you finish school. you can be on PA for that time it takes you to finish school and get a decent paying job. An education in this day and age is VERY important.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You were working 30, 35, 40 hours a week? Perhaps begin looking for a replacement job and leave on good terms when you find a position that can offer same hours/benefits. Your boss may rehire in the future if he/she understands why you're leaving.

the only extra work you'd be doing is switch jobs and the rest of your life would stay the same until you complete school.

also, obama signed the federal bill to offer healthcare for children. in CA its called Healthy Families. It's usually, in most if not all states, meant to be an option for parents that are just outside the range of Medicaid.

Good luck.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 5:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Finish school... you can recieve the help thru PA and plz don't listen to those who think they are better than the other when it comes to recieving PA... You are almost done with school, you have been doing both the mother and father, work and student job sounds like for a few yrs... let work go, get the kids state medical and finish school... this IS ONLY a temp thing and I will promise you that you WILL NOT regret finishing school...

Good Luck to you
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Also, as long as you work and go to school PA will pay for daycare, so you can do both. specially since your hours were cut to 20 a week you qualify.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Finish school!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Finish school. Are you on any scholarships? If not, go to your advisor and ask about any that you can apply. Wish you luck.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Wow! You are one amazing woman. If you can collect PA while you are in school, then I would be honored to have my tax money help you.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I agree, finish school! If you have to get assistance, that's what it's there for. Once you finish school, you should be able to get a better paying job and won't need the assistance anymore. That' how it was meant to be... temporaryhelp while you better yourself and become self-sufficient. I applaud you! & I'm with rkoloms... my tax money is all yours!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Finish school. Talk to your school's employment & financial aid centers. They may be able to get you a work study to help with money. Apply for PA. You've been working. You've already paid for it in taxes. There is no shame in taking back money that you have already earned. It's what it is there for. Depending on the age of your youngest, you may qualify for commodity foods. Take advantage of whatever social programs are available to you. They are designed to help people like you.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Finish school, with kids and all you should recieve all the PA you need to help push you through day care housing, food, medical..whatever.......Finish school, that way you can work on adding a degree to your resume. Finding a job these days isnt easy. and while your at it, start putting your resume out there highlighting the fact your almost finished...that way you may have a job lined up before you get out...or may find someone whos willing to help pay for your school......options....Good luck hun.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009