I am a single parent- a junior in college with two small children. My employer just cut my hours down to 20 a week. My company only offers insurance to full time employees so I will probably lose my medial coverage. My kids go to daycare on campus so childcare is discounted, but I will no longer be able to afford it for both work and school. It seems I have a choice to make- apply for PA, stop work and finish school in a year or so OR stop school, find another part time job and finish school later.
This is a very difficult decision to make. I am 27 and have been self-sufficient since I married at age 18. My husband passed away when I was 21 in a car accident. I made the decision to finish school and have been doing fine except for the past year. It's been hard relying on family and food pantries sometimes for food but the thought of finishing college has kept me going and now it looks like I might not be able to.
Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Money & Work
Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Answer by preggoandfat at 5:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Answer by gmasboy at 5:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Also, as long as you work and go to school PA will pay for daycare, so you can do both. specially since your hours were cut to 20 a week you qualify.
Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Answer by teampalmer4 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Answer by Safirejewl at 5:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
I agree, finish school! If you have to get assistance, that's what it's there for. Once you finish school, you should be able to get a better paying job and won't need the assistance anymore. That' how it was meant to be... temporaryhelp while you better yourself and become self-sufficient. I applaud you! & I'm with rkoloms... my tax money is all yours!
Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2009
Next question overall
My daughter was bitten by a tick last night. Should I take her to the doctor...