Im thinking about online schooling. Maybe Medical Transcription. Just wondering if anyone has done this, Ive always been hesitant thinking it isnt as good as a school in the real world?!

SMatos

Asked by SMatos at 5:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• online school is good because most of the stuff we do now a days is online. it is accepted by employers just as much as in person. it also shows good work discipline on your part since you have to do the work without someone telling you in person.
    ive done online and in person school..online is harder sotmeimes but i prefer it
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It depends on what online school you use. If you plan on attending online classes that a REAL accredited college offers then I say go for it. If you plan on using one of those "school" that you see ads for in magazines and such, for example "Straford Institute" they are not accredited, you don't earn a degree that many employers or accredited colleges recognize and accept and it's nearly impossible to get a job in that field by using one of those "school"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right choice for you.
    When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The best way to discover what online schools are the most accepted and recognized is to call several doctors offices and ask them what schools they prefer to have their transcriptionist have their certificate from.

There are many many transcription schools out there, and many even promise a job, but that doesn't mean a thing if they are able to convince faceless people to send them their money.

Our local college does most of their transcriptionist classes online. But one found on the internet doesn't mean they are recognized by doctors offices.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• yea highly important is to make sure its accredited......if its not..dont deal with it.

find a good school you like, and nine times out of ten they offer classes online
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I own a medical transcription company. I'm sorry, but I personally would not hire a transcriptionist trained at an online school without additional experience on top of that. The reason for that is....I remember being in training for medical transcription. There are far too many questions that a student needs to ask and complicated things to learn. You need a real live person available to you to ask these questions of. I would suggest a community college or vocational school.
    Anonymous

• Same anon here....I would also like to add that after 17 years in this business, I still learn new things all of the time. It's quite a bit more complicated than many people believe.
    Anonymous

• I went through U.S Career Institute. It's very affordable and it has great courses to choose from. From personal experience, I only suggest doing the med trans. course if you're wanting to work in an office or hospital setting for at least 2 yrs. I have had no luck for over 2 yrs trying to get a work from home med trans. job without experience in the field. If you are wanting to work from home, I would recommend one of their other courses. But they are all great, and the staff are always responsive when needing help.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 9:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• There's a few companies that Do HIRE with little to no experience. Where does everyone expect new MT's to get experience if no one will hire them.

Careerstep is a good place to look into. It's legit and I know many many woman who went through them and got hired not long after graduating...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009