• In the Spotlight:

Advice please

Someone begged me to take her last two puppies or else she'd have to take them to the shelter. I told her I would let them stay for awhile, but could not keep them- she'd have to keep looking for a forever home for them. She also reassured me that they would be much smaller than they are.
Currently, several months later, they are still here. And they are massive. Being puppies they are wild, and way too rough on my boys, and can easily hurt them. I gave up on her keeping her word about finding a home for them and put out an ad, but no takers yet. Neither my house nor my yard is quite big enough to accommodate them. I don't want to take them to the shelter since now 70% of animals taken there are euthanized now. I was just trying to do the right thing and help and got screwed over.
Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Sad situation I wish I had a big land and take in all these animals it is not their fault no one wants them :(

But I know that is not going to happen (the big land) that is...

Have you checked out the SPCA they take in animals and try to get homes for them by getting them adopted by loving families but I know those are hard to come by...I hope all works out for you and the dogs...Just keep up with the ad and keep asking around until something gives and do alot of praying too. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have taken in several animals over the years because I too have a big heart. There are shelters out there that keep an animal until they find a home. Some shelters are connected nation wide and ship between the states. Besides putting an ad in the paper how about contacting local vets and putting flyers there?
    ladywith13cats

Answer by ladywith13cats at 6:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• if they are still young enough, sometimes even is the SPCA is overcrowded they will take them if theyre adoptable. I would tell them the situation, but go there WITH the dogs...if you just ask them, they will likely tell you no....I wouldnt take them to the pound b/c you are right especially if they are really big, the odds of them being adopted aren't that good.....you did a good thing, its too bad that your "friend" wasn't as responsible as she led on....good luck and I hope you are able to find them a good place =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would call this friend and now explain explicitly that you am unable to keep them, she'll have to come, by friday and take them. Or, add that you didn't mind paying for their upkeep, but now you'll be delivering them to her home by a certain date.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would call the lady and tell her that enough is enough and that she has til _____ to figure something out or expect to find the dogs in her yard. If she wants to take them to the pound then it is on her conscience not yours. You have done more than enough. I feel bad for the dogs I really do it's not their fault but you have to think about your family first.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Put your own freebie ad in the paper and on line from the SPCA and you may find a home quicker. You don't say what kind of Puppies they are and if they are male or female. There are people on everyday looking for young dogs especially. You could give it a try.
    seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 10:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I know with the SPCA, if you agree to it, if they have no room, you can keep the dogs at your home but they will still continue to get the dogs adopted for you. I had to use them to get my dogs adopted out because I was moving out of state and couldn't take them with me. Both dogs were adopted within two weeks.
    jeni2671

Answer by jeni2671 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2009