What makes cukes get bitter?

The first batch was pretty good. The second is everso bitter. I haven't done anything different, and I keep them watered. I could understand if it was just the peel that's bitter, but it's the whole dang cuke. Any ideas?

AmosFarkle

Asked by AmosFarkle at 5:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Here's a link which might explain better:      

http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-16-1576,00.html

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• gardeningknowhow.com has this: "Too hot - One of the most common reasons why a cucumber is bitter is due to heat stress. If a plant is stressed due to heat, it may start producing bitter cucumbers.
    Uneven watering - Another possibility for what causes bitter cucumber is if a cucumber goes through alternating periods of drought and overwatering, the stress from this can cause the plant to produce bitter fruit.
    Temperature fluctuations - If the temperature fluctuates dramatically from one extreme to another over an extended period of time, the plant may start producing bitter cucumbers."
    It also says that once a plant starts this that you may as well remove the plant and start over.

Answer by Bmat at 10:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thanks for the answers...I think it must be the heat. However, the last couple I got weren't bitter. Go figure. I'll keep a really good eye on the watering. ^5!
    AmosFarkle

Answer by AmosFarkle at 6:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009