So, I need help with a project I'm doing.

I'm currently working on one of my 4-H projects, and my Veterinary Science project is on the Pit Bull debate. So, I was wanting to ask how many of you would own one, already have one, or think they should be banned. All of the answers will be greatly appreciated, and will help out a lot.

LadyJayne27

Asked by LadyJayne27 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pets

• I don't have one and I wouldn't ever own one (I like really small dogs) lol. I don't think they should be banned either because I guess they could be a good dog if you trained them. Ceasar Milan sp?? has a really well behaved one so it goes to show they can be a very good dog.
    Anonymous

• i would own one if i got it as a puppy and raised it myself. no i do not think they should be banned every pit bull i have ever met has been really sweet and big babies. the reason pit bulls get the rep they do is because idiots make them fight they are the same people that are usually involved in selling drugs and gangs. its all in how they are rasied.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 6:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I have never owned one but my brothers have about 12 of them between them. THey all have kids and the kids play with the pits. the dogs are very protective of the kids and they are great pets so yes i would own one if i liked bigger dogs. They shouldnt be banned but in your project maybe you should do a little research on the other types of dogs that have been labled as "dangerous" like pits. I know that on that list are dobermans, rottweilers, and even german shepards.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Thanks for the advice Alie, I totally forgot about adding that in!
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• While I can't give an opinion based on any intelligent facts, I do know that Pit Bulls are not all trained to be self controlled and gentle. Many stupid owners do not realize, or maybe they do, that these dogs (as well as other dogs labeled dangerous) are the same as a weapon. Ask anyone who has been attacked unprovoked. On that basis I don't think they should be banned anymore than guns should be banned, but these dogs do have potential and are often rough housed and mistreated so that they become a public enemy. Maybe there should be really stiff, I mean REALLY stiff penalties for dogs that attack and harm innocent people.

Pits can be trained, like any dog to be good and behaved, but many are not.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I do not own one but definitely would. They are wonderful dogs. I have a friend with a rescue and have worked leash training with some of her pit bulls and would bring any of them home. I think that BSL is wrong, and that there needs to be more education and activism for the breed so people can learn the truth about them, not what the media portrays.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I own one and work with a lot. Not one has ever so much as growled at me. No I do not think they should be singled out and banned, this is American and I'll be damned if the government is going to tell me what breed dog I am allowed to own and not own, thats ridiculous. I trust my pitbull with my life and my son's life. If you want a good website for facts about pits check out
    www.thetruthaboutpitbulls.com
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have a pit and she is the most awesome dog I have ever had. My four year old can do anything to her and my dog will not turn on her. I trust her completly. I have seen my daughter dive bomb her on the couch and all my dog will do is grunt and look to me for help. Of course I don't encourage that behavior in my daughter, but my dog has had her ears pulled and her eyes poked. She has been sat on and slept on. She would not hurt my child. She is an awesome watchdog also. I have no doubt that she would hurt someone to protect us. But she is very friendly with people and other dogs. My parents on the other hand have rat terriers and both of their dogs have bit my unprovoked. I think that makes a bad dog. I don't allow my daughter to be around them. The problem with pits is the media. They are very powerful dogs, so if they attack they will do a lot of damage many times kill. They are not the #1 for attacks though.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 3:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• When a pitt bull does wrong the media picks up on it and it becomes sensationalized. It is not a fair or accurate gage of the breed. I am very against BSL. Like any dog, they need to be trained and socialized. I have found the breed to be very special. They are sweet, protective and highly intelligent. Also check out what became of michael vicks dogs. All but one of them were placed in loving homes. I have had one previous pit and just got a pit puppy. Before the bald eagle the pit bull was the national animal. They have been used in the military, they have been used as therapy dogs, at least one was used to find people in the 9-11 wreakage, because a trait of the breed is to never give up. Any other questions PM me.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 3:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I own a pit and also rescue pits and other so called dangerous breeds, it's not the breed of the dog, it's the own, pits and other mastiff type breeds are some of the most abused dogs out here.
    Banning Pits is not the answer.
    Google Pitbulls and you will find lots of information on the subject.
    Dare2Bme71

Answer by Dare2Bme71 at 3:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2009