My high school best friend is lesbian now?!?

I just reconnected with a high school friend of mine through Facebook last night. We were REALLY good friends; we talked about everything...including boys we liked. Well, now she's been dating this woman for 2 years and says she's in love. She even had a picture of herself and her partner trying on wedding gowns, and it creeped me out. I don't understand it. I love my mom and my sister, and I have 2 friends that are like family to me and I love them.... but how can a woman be sexually attracted to another woman? How can you go from liking men to liking women? I don't even know how to relate to her anymore...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• I agree with you but get prepared to get bashed by other moms.
    Anonymous

• If she knew you felt this way she probably wouldn't want to be friends with you anyway. If she is happy what difference does it make to you?
    Anonymous

• Try being honest.
    Anonymous

• I think you two have changed to the point where a friendship would not be beneficial to either of you. Be nice, but let her go!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My opinion is that because women are more emotional beings than men, they are able to connect with each other in a deeper emotional way than they do with men. I think that after having gone through a bad or several bad relationships with men, or being molested by a man, some women just tend to find that emotional connection with another woman and mistake it for the emotions of a romantic couple when in actuality she is compensating for the hurt and anger towards men. Naturally, being able to connect with women as we are, some begin to think or be persuaded that they are actually a lesbian when they aren't and never were.

Anonymous

• OP here... thank you all for understanding. I thought I would get bashed up and down for this... but I can't lie about how I really feel. I don't hate her... I'm just uncomfortable with her choice.
    Anonymous

• I got ya beat !! LOL One of my HS friends is now a man...or supposidly. She is takeing male hormones and crap like that.....
    Anonymous

• yes, well my ex-boyfriend is now gay or always was gay or whatever... kinda creepy huh? Not that he is gay, but that I use to date him... I hope it wasn't me that made him switch (just kidding, I know its not a choice)
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• She didn't change, she was gay already and because of how gays are treated and worry about what people think she dated boys. Now she is the person she always wanted to be. Being gay doesn't have an effect on anyone. If her being gay makes you not know how to relate to her then you never were truly her friend in the first place.

Anonymous

• You say the two of you were high school friends, and now she's in love with a woman. If she truely was a friend, accept her choice and allow her some happiness in her life. I understand it's weird, but think about her feelings. You can let her know you don't go that way and enjoy your "friendship". Life's too short to be stressing over her sexual orientation.
    Mommadontplay

Answer by Mommadontplay at 6:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009