my daughter just got her first tooth and im so nervous shes going to bit down really hard on my nipple while breastfeeding...

any advice?

lol thanks

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just keep nursing her....my dd has bit me so hard about 4 times two time drew blood, enough to go through my shirt...the reason for that being b/c I bottle feed her what I pump during the day and she nurses at nite. from what i've heard if your daughter is just EBF and shes' used to it. most babies don't bite, if they do then you pull them off and try again until they get the hint that they don't bite mommy....this however didn't work with mine, so we still do bottle during the day and nurse at nite....she rarely bites me if she's nursing in her sleep. although, last nite she did, but not too bad =)good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• It will most likely happen! Sorry! I always jump and am not prepared for it. If they kept it up (thought it was funny or just liked doing it), I nursed with one hand next to their cheek ready to "flick" them with my fingers. It was the only way I could react fast enough that they would make a connection to the biting. My first and third (who doesn't have teeth yet) seem to have been quick to catch on. My second LOVED biting and he got flicked a lot by me, but at least would stop during each nursing session. My second loved to clamp down even before he had teeth, so I wasn't surprised it was an issue with him. I have also heard it suggested that you say no the first time, and then the second time, stop nursing. They will soon realize that biting means no food. Personally I think the flicking was a quicker method! Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My dd was upset one time (overtired I think) and she bit me while nursing. It hurt, obviously. But I said "Ow! No bite!" really loud and pulled her off of it and she never did it again, thank God.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• my little one has only biten me twice and both times i said oww loud and pulled away for a few minutes then let her nurse again.she is 13months now and i still nurse.no more biting
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• She probably will, and it will hurt, and you just teach her not to do it again. I'm currently nursing my 4th and all 3 of my older ones got in a few bites - with 2 of them I did a harsh no, with the last one (she was a girl and i would laugh, i had a hard time keeping straight face) I showed no reaction at all and just ended the nursing session. Both methods worked, not sure which I will use with my 4th when that time comes, probably the no reaction since that actually seemed to work better.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• She probably will bite you. This may be your first discipline issue. Immediately pull her off and say NO very fimly. It may take a couple of tries, but she will get the message.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Don't be a wimp. You had a baby for goodness sakes! LOL! When a baby is properly latched, the tongue is covering those first little chompers that come in on the bottom. If they are actually eating, there will be no biting. It's the playing around time that you'll get it. So when she's wound up, bouncing around on your lap, a suck here, a suck there.... that's when she's most likely to test out those new little chompers!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I actually had my little girl bite me a couple of times. Judging from the reaction that I gave (screaming)...she stopped. I also took her off of the boob when she did that. She loves mommy's milk too much to lose it for being a butt. ;o)
    Anonymous