the future of seeing your baby is soon...

A mother-to-be excitedly asks if you’d like to see an image of the baby she is carrying. You expect her to whip out an ultrasound photo. Instead, she takes out a 3-D model of her unborn child, complete with facial expression.
Sound like something out of a futuristic sci-fi movie? It may soon be commonplace.
According to ABC News, a Brazilian designer named Jorge Lopes uses a technique called rapid prototyping to create life-size models of fetuses with the help of ultrasound, MRI, 3-D computer imaging, and a layering printer. His models are currently on display at London’s Royal College of Art.
I could see many expectant parents getting a thrill out of having such a tangible replica of their unborn child. Yet as my husband pointed out when discussing this subject,there might be something a little odd about it too.
ur call:Creepy or cool?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think that it is different. I feel sorry for the parents expecting a normal healthy child and then have a child that is unfortunately deformed. I think it would do more harm than good in those cases.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 6:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I'm not so sure it would do more harm. At least the happiest day of their lives isn't ruined by an unexpectedly deformed child. At least they would have some warning first.

I think the new ultrasounds are creepy and cool. I'm used to the black and white old school ones, and these new ones freak me out because you're looking at a real baby, your baby, not a drawing, or a picture in a book, but a real baby. But it's cool because of all that, too.
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009