• In the Spotlight:

wouldn't it be cool to c ur bby b4 its born?without an u/s

A mother-to-be excitedly asks if you’d like to see an image of the baby she is carrying. You expect her to whip out an ultrasound photo. Instead, she takes out a 3-D model of her unborn child, complete with facial expression.
Sound like something out of a futuristic sci-fi movie? It may soon be commonplace.
According to ABC News, a Brazilian designer named Jorge Lopes uses a technique called rapid prototyping to create life-size models of fetuses with the help of ultrasound, MRI, 3-D computer imaging, and a layering printer. His models are currently on display at London’s Royal College of Art.
I could see many expectant parents getting a thrill out of having such a tangible replica of their unborn child. Yet as my husband pointed out when discussing this subject,there might be something a little odd about it too.
ur call:Creepy or cool?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Are MRI's safe while pregnant? That's what jumped out at me, that some moms might be SO excited about the idea of this that they may not look into it as carefully as they should or may overlook something that could possibly be dangerous. If it was proven safe, then cool go for it. I don't think I'd want one though, I don't mind waiting and being surprised.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Definately creepy! I saw a picture of the models, and they are all one solid color. Some of them weren't at the full-term stage yet. It was weird to say the least. Although I can understand the appeal of a baby was still-born, or not expected to live long past birth. My children's godmother lost a baby at 32 weeks and I can really see where a 3-D model would benefit her in her grief...but it could go really creepy easily if parents aren't able to seperate the fantasy of holding "their baby" and dealing with their loss.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 6:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would ask "Wouldn't it be cool to see your baby before its born without an ultrasound". But,hey,that's just me.
    Anonymous

• Go back to school before your baby is born. Learn how to spell!!
    Anonymous