Should schools prescribe the pill to 11 year olds without their parents even knowing?

A conservative Christian legal group said Thursday it will proceed with a lawsuit against a Maine school district over its refusal to reconsider its birth control policy, which allows students as young as 11 to receive prescription contraceptives without parental knowledge or consent.

The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), which specializes in constitutional law, contends that the Portland School Committee is not only usurping parental authority but also violating a Maine law by not reporting all illegal sexual activity involving children 13 years old or younger.

“This is an issue where the rights of parents must be protected,” said Jay Sekulow, chief counsel of the ACLJ, in a statement Thursday.

cont. at link

http://www.aclj.org/news/Read.aspx?ID=2790

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 6:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think condoms should be provided at school, free of charge and to all. However, I think being on the pill without a parent's knowledge presents medical risks. Yes, there are risks to the pill. I'm surprised that the school is willing to take on this responsibility- imagine the lawsuit if a child had liver failure or a blood clot related to the bcp that they parents didn't know she was taking! On top of that, the pill is only part of the issue since it does not prevent any STDs. So yes, in my opinion,make bc available. However make it a barrier method, because it's lower risk medically and prevents more issues than the pill alone.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Are they doing it under medical advisory?

I work in a community health care setting and any child who is sexually active can receive contraceptives without parent's permission under our family planning.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• C'mon now, you gotta be kidding...
    Anonymous

• No. I'd be pissed.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 6:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No.
    I think thats stupid. Condoms, I might understand but not a pill. Not something that is invading a young, not fully developed body and do who knows what to it.

Some people have reactions to pills for pitys sake...Id be furious if my daughter(if I had one) got a bc pill from the school system. Until that child is 18 I should be the one who gets them bc if thats what they want.

If some kids cant talk to their parents then buy the damn condoms.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No I do not think it is okay to prescribe a minor contraceptives without parental permission. There have been studies taking place that show that women who have been on BC for a long period of time, at least 10 years, have had issues with infertility and conceiving children later on in life. So if a child gets put on the pill at 11 and stays on it until they are 25, there is a higher chance they might not have an easy time conceiving children when they are ready. There are also other complications and risks associated with taking BC that younger girls may not fully understand or take into account. Parent's need to be informed so that they can keep an eye on their child's health and well-being. If God forbid a young girl had a complication from BC, how in the world would the parent's be able to help if they have no idea she was even taking it?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I am a high school teacher and it is very hush hush, but I know that our school would take girls (14 year olds) to get abortions without ever telling their parents or providing them with counseling (outside of the same person who sets up their schedules).

Our state just voted on it in the last election, if we should make a law to stop it, but it didn't pass. People think that this is okay?

Their idea is that some kids have parents who are abusive and would hurt them if they got pregnant, so we should secretly abort their babies without telling daddy. My opinion is that this is a minority, and that if a girl lives with an abusive dad, she should be removed from the home so she doesn't get beaten for all the other things abusers like to blame for their rage.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Absolutely not. Kids aren't even allowed to take a Tylenol at school with out written permission of their parents... our sick society has gone too far thanks to Planned Parenthood who has infiltrated our public schools & been given too much leeway by our gov't for way too long now!

Anonymous

• "if a girl lives with an abusive dad, she should be removed from the home so she doesn't get beaten for all the other things abusers like to blame for their rage."

Amen!! :)
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 6:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• YES! And here's why. At 11 (and younger) I was sexually active. My mother, being a strict JW, refused to even give us "the talk." Here only opinion was DON'T... My Aunt gave me a box of condoms for my 12th birthday along with "the talk" because she knew my mother never would and figured I would be "on the market soon." (which as I said, I already was) My mother found the condoms on a "routine" room search and FLIPPED! She beat me good and then when I told her where I got them refused to allow me to speak to my Aunt anymore. So, I just didn't use anything. I figured I would rather risk it w/o any protection than risk my mother finding my stash again. I didn't use a condom til I was 19... And that's not because I wasn't VERY active, just because I didn't want to deal with my mom.

Should the school be able to provide this stuff? Yes! My mother never would have signed for it. And I would have been safer with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2009