Has anyone ever tried Metformin?

Last month I was referred to a OBGYN/Fertility Specialist.After 10 sheets of Lab work and no logical reason as to why after 19 yrs of having a normal cycle I all of a sudden start having an irregular one for over a year,she prescribed Metformin to me.It's typically a med that is used to lower blood sugar.But it also increases fertility.Has anyone else tried it? Did it work for you?

Mrs.Fields05

Asked by Mrs.Fields05 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• My adult dd was taking it for diabetes and for PCOS. If she even thought it would make her more fertile she'd have never taken it. She lost a lot of weight taking it though. You may have to just check a fertility site or call a fertility specialist and just ask the question. You could also call the pharmacist or go to the manufacturers site

Answer by admckenzie at 7:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I know some women who have taken it for that reason and swear by it. Good Luck.
    MommyMeli07

Answer by MommyMeli07 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Yeah,I was told it's supposed to make me lose weight and I looked it up and it was mentioned on the medical sheet that comes with the medicine from the Pharmacy.
    Mrs.Fields05

Answer by Mrs.Fields05 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• im taking it for PCOS i have lost alot of weight by it and my obyn says it will help me to get pregnant and keep the baby i found out i was pregnant in april
    Anonymous

• EDIT***If you are taking it,how long were you taking it before you got pregnant?***I tried to edit my question but it wouldn't let me
    Mrs.Fields05

Answer by Mrs.Fields05 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I took it for pcos for almost 5 years. I lost weight,my insulin levels were in control, my cycles were like clockwork...and 6 months after starting to try to get pregnant, we succeeded. I do know that some women with pcos that take metformin still have to take clomid to conceive, but the metformin should do the trick on it's own.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• also, depending on your doc and your particular reasons for taking the metformin, you didn't say that you had pcos but it is the most common non-diabetes use for metformin, you may have to stop taking it if you get pregnant. in which case, be prepared to watch your diet very carefully and do not forget to exercise!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• She gave it to me because for the last 18 months I've only had maybe 8 cycles and they haven't been consistent.She said that this med should make them regular as well as help me Ovulate.She also told me that since I had a miscarriage in Sept. '07 that she'll keep me on it during my first trimester.I don't have any medical health issues.She gave me this medicine with the sole purpose to help me get pregnant.She seems really confident about it's "success".She said that so far everyone she has given it to this year has become pregnant.
    Mrs.Fields05

Answer by Mrs.Fields05 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• when i first started taking it i lost about 10-15 lbs in a couple months and was pregnant by the 3rd month of taking it.
    i am taking it again. it has been about 4 months. i havent lost any weight and i also havent gotten pregnant. i have PCOS. they upped my dose last month too.... but still nothing :o(
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• how do you get diagnosed with pcos? I have never been regular, my mom was telling me I would go 3 months and one time even a year without AF and am pretty overweight. But when I read symptoms and stuff I do not by anymeans have a small chest, it is proportionately large....can anyone tell me more about it and do I get tested by my OBGYN or my primary care manager. Also, what does the test consist of?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2009