How long did you breastfeed for?

I have 14 month old triplets and since theywere born at 29 weeks, we were encouraged to breastfeed for "as long as possible"...so I did. I pumped and nursed ((what seemed like)) all day. As a mother, I had to make sure my children were getting all the nutrition that they could possibly get. Due to the fact that breastfeeding three kids is extremely difficult, I still pump throughout the day and give them the bottle when they go to bed. Do you think that I am doing this too much or should I stop breastfeeding them? I honestly want to do this as much and for as long as possible, for the sake of my children.

thanks :]

kaitlin06

Asked by kaitlin06 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow I couldnt imagine having three to nurse, but huge kudos to you for breastfeednig them for so long, now as far as how long the WHO reccomends breastfeeding for at least two years, I am hoping I can bf my son that long if not longer, so far we have made it to 10 1/2 months but hats only one baby not three.
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No one should blame you if you want to stop! They recommend for at least the first year. Do it as long as you feel you can, but that is amazing you have done it so long withe triplets. You've done wonderful by your babies, so do what's right for you. Way to go momma!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think its too much now, They are over a year and got everything they need from the brestmilk. Life would be a thousand times easier if you got them off of it and moved them on to something else.

You have done the best for your children. And you still will be. 14 months is more then enough time to be on breastmilk.
    Anonymous

• Wow, you deserve the biggest friggin mother of the year trophy they make. Nursing THREE babies for 14 months, just WOW, GREAT JOB.

I think as long as the four of you (wow! lol) are happy, content, and thriving, you can continue to BF for as long as you like!

I guess the only thing is that they recommend ditching the bottle at 1 year, cause of the tooth thing and pooling of formula, but obviosuly BM isn't quite the same in the tooth rotting department. So, that's a choice you'll have to think about, can you BF instead of giving a bottle? I have no idea how night times go at oyur house, like if they all go to sleep at once, or 1 at a time, etc.

Anyway, like I said, if you are all happy, keep going!!!

AND CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• You are one amazing mom!

The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Wow, what you are doing is amazing! It is up to you whether or not to continue, but the benefits of breastfeeding/breastmilk do continue for as long as you breastfeed. Although no one would blame you if you quit now, you've already done wonderfully for your little ones!

In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    29% of energy requirements
    43% of protein requirements
    36% of calcium requirements
    75% of vitamin A requirements
    76% of folate requirements
    94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    60% of vitamin C requirements
    -- Dewey 2001

I breastfed my children for 6mos, almost 3yrs, and am breastfeeding my 21mo. old, as well as expecting in early Dec.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Good job mama! If you dont want to stop, then dont! There's no reason to stop unless it's making you and/or the babies unhappy. I still nurse my single 14 month old(lol), that's awesome that your doing it for three. What an inspiration for any mother who has a hard time breastfeeding!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I'm in AWE!! Seriously. You are an inspiration.

As for whether you are "doing this too much"...I think only YOU can be the judge of that. If you want to keep doing it, then go for it and don't let the naysayers on here tell you otherwise. Follow your heart, mama. You're doing a great job!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2009