How would you react?

So I was shopping at Dillards the other day. Obviously a little more classy then walmart, however, not the Macy's standard. There was a women with 2 kids shopping, and the youngest (looked about 2) was crying in her stroller. The mother was trying to console her, and the child WAS NOT screaming or out of control, just a small tantrum. Some blonde chick approached a store clerk and said how appalled she was this women was not being kicked out, and how she couldn't shop with all that noise. She then stormed towards the exit, turning around to tell the store clerk she was taking her business elsewhere because clearly Dillards had no standards allowing "white trash walmart folk" in their store with "equally trashy kids". The store clerk then followed this mother around the store, and eventually caught up to her asking her if she needed help. The mother responded no, then the store clerk asked if she needed help with her kids...

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• and the mother responded no. The store clerk then said well your daughter is crying, to which the mother replied I'm aware, she's a child, kids cry. I was so offended by the store clerk I put down my items I was purchasing and walked off. I understand people not wanting to shop with crying kids, but this was a store in the mall, not Macy's, and the little girl was more whining from behind a binki then full out screaming. I almost cussed out the store clerk for the mother I was so offended. How would you have reacted?
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Wow! I think I would have told a manager if this is how they treat mothers with fussy kids, I would not be shopping there again. I would also tell them I was sharing it on the largest growing online network for moms!!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Obviously this "lady" hasn't been around kids. ALL kids cry. She was the trash, not the mommy.

I don't think the clerk should have been following the mom around the store and it was rude to ask if she needed help with her kids! Like the mother didn't know how best to handle the situation of her daughter crying!

Mom was doing the best she could and probably HAD to be there to buy something, otherwise she would have just went home and waited for another day to shop.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would have called for a manager instead of walking out, told them my peace then leave.

Anonymous

• I would have been contacting HQ of Dillards & the media. Macy's is now a mall store. Still not impressed by it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• First of all, that first woman is a snooty b*tch who obviously has no kids. Second, shame on that store clerk harassing that mother! I would have walked out, too. Possibly say something to the manager. Unbelievable!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i would have walked up to the mother and said something along the lines of who's this stupid clerk think she is? then looked at the clerk and said i needed to speak to a manager.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I would have asked to speak to a manager and then complain "if this is how your employees treat customers I will NEVER shop here again! Here are my things I do not want them afterall!"
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Any time my daughter cried or had a tantrum in public, I immediately removed her. This is just the right thing to do.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

So your daughter learns if she wants to be at home playing instead of shopping all she has to do is whine the slightest bit and mommy bends to her every call... wouldn't it be better to remove her if a full out of control tantrum is being thrown, and ignore the minor whining, so children learn they don't always get what they want? This little girl was whining from behind a binki, not kicking and screaming throwing things across the store as I've seen before... remove for a tantrum of that magnitude yes, but if a parent left every time a child whine, no mother would ever get any shopping done. Just my opinion
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2009