How long do you want to live and does your faith (or lack there of) affect that?

You don't have to name an age if you don't have one in mind, but to what point do you want to live? And does your belief in the afterlife affect you in this "disition"?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If I can live long enough to see the birth of my grand babies and the success of my children I will die a happy woman.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• For me, I only want to live as long as I have my independence. I don't ever want to be confined to a chair or bed and don't want my kids to have to care for me. I believe firmly in reincarnation and to me there is no threat of pain or torture on the other side regardless of my deeds, so the idea of death does not scare me. As long as I am able to care for myself I'm fine, but the day I am no longger capable I will (or hope to be able to) end it. I have DNR papers and am very clear about the fact that I will NEVER live on machines.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I want to see grandkids and play with them a bit. Id prefer to not be a burden too.

However, I realize it will be what it will be.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I didn't want to live this long... but i'm here. It's not up to me... so we will see.
    Anonymous

• At this point (I never really thought about it before) my Faith doesn't really have anything to do with my feelings on when I die. I have young children and I guess the closest I can come to picking how long I want to live is this: I want to be around at least until they don't need me like they do now. I'd like to live to see them grow up and start families of their own, but I especially don't want to leave them when they are so young. Beyond that, I don't really have a preference and just so you know for the sake of the question, I'm Catholic.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I just pray to live long enough to see my children grow up and have children and grandchildren of their own. My religion doesn't affect that because I know that I am Saved and that when I die, I will awake in the arms of Jesus Christ.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Anon, I'm actually with you... I never wanted to see my 20s... I attempted suicide many times as a teen. And each time I was "saved" I finally realized that when it's my time it's my time and I can't rush it. I have a reason for being here and the fates won't let me go til I'm done.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I want to see my children grow up and then when the good Lord comes calling I will embrace Him with joy.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 7:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I at least want to see my daughter grow up. If I have any kids in the future, I want to see them grow up as well. I want to see my grandkids. I want to live to be as old as possible and still be cognizant. I don't want to be one of the poor older ladies who sits in a nursing home for the last five years of her life. My great grandma will be 95 in a few days, and she's living out her last days in a nursing home. She hates it there. I hope I can either stay active in my old age or go before it gets that bad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• OH and my beliefs have no affect on how long I want to live, really. I'm excited yet scared to find out what happens after death. But I'd kinda like to stay here as long as possible.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009