Why does it take 20 yrs. to see sun damage?

2o yrs. ago I bared my breast to the hot sun because I wanted to be tanned there,now I'm seeing brown moles growing on my nipples,gross yes,but now I'm worried sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Health

• You should have any unusual moles checked out by a dermatologist. In fact, you should probably have a regular appointment with a dermatologist-- just like you would with your primary care provider for annual physicals.

Sun damage takes a while to show up because you're damaging not only the surface but the layers underneath. The rays go through the skin and damage what's underneath, and the rate of damage between the layers differ. So once the dermis layer is damaged, then you'll eventually see it on the epidermal layer. That's why it's important to get a sunscreen that has both UVA and UVB protection.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2009