For Christians... (does not apply to those w/o belief in hell)

I have been curious for some time now about how many Christians actually hold a fear of hell for themselves. I am told daily that I'm going to hell, but how many of you are honesly afraid that when you die you could go to hell, regardless of your deeds and beliefs... The bible says that even John the Baptist will not go to heaven (Mt 11:11,12), so that really leaves a large portion of people that will believe and practice and still not go to heaven, right?

So, do you actually fear the possability of hell for yourself?

**Please do not turn this in to a BASH post. I am honestly asking for honest answers.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oooh very good question :D I can't wait for the answers.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I don't fear it. I prefer to not live my life in fear of anything that I have, ultimately, no control over. All I can do is my best, to love my God with all my heart and all my mind and all my soul, and my neighbor as myself. Anything after that I leave in the merciful hands of God, my Father.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• AWWW MAN....... NOT FOR ME I believe in hell so I won't answer.
    Anonymous

• Who tells you that you are going to Hell?

There's always a chance, but I feel like I'm doing what God wants me to be doing and I follow the teachings of my Church. It's not something I think about a lot, that is to say that I don't do things out of fear so that I won't go to Hell, but rather I do things to get to Heaven, if that makes sense. So I guess, no, it's not something I'm afraid of for myself.
    Anonymous

• Matthew 11:11 doesn't mention anything about John the Baptised not going to to heaven. Did I miss somthing?
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 8:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I had a life changing experience when I was saved. I am promised a place in Heaven b/c of my belief in the Lord Jesus. So NO, I do not fear hell for myself, I do however, fear hell for family and friends who I know do not believe in Jesus.

Anonymous

• well, it comes down to faith just as any issue with God. The Bible specifically speaks of the eternal life for those who believe. So once you are in relationship with God and if you are, you know it, then youre assured of eternal life. No, I dont specifically fear hell because God has given me the assurance of salvation and life with him. I guess I would think that as a christian, you either know if you are or arent and if you arent sure, then you deal with it right now. The Bible is clear on the steps to salvation. Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord. Now there are many christians that hold the belief that salvation can come and go and Im not sure I believe that. I dont believe that just because you say youre a christian, youre going to spend eternity with God. You cant just live however you want and think thats going to cut it. Fear isnt of God, no matter what its about.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Mt 11:11-13: Amen, I say to you, among those born of women there has been none greater than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent are taking it by force.All the prophets and the law prophesied up to the time of John.

No, you didn't miss something. I suppose someone is interpreting this very differently.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Also, its not a fate thing and its completely within our control of what we allow in our hearts and minds, so the comment about not being able to control it isnt exactly right. No you dont control God, but Gods promises are yes and amen, and we know that he doesnt go back on his promises. Anyway, thats my personal belief and I hope it makes sense. Im going to bed.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I dont fear it and I have NEVER told a person they are going to hell. I am curious as to who told/tells you, you are going to hell.
    Anonymous