Why do they do this?

This is the second time that I go to a restaurant & have the tip added on to the total when I pay with a debit card, only to find out that they never really added it in. I just checked my bank statement online and I was only debited the amount of the meal. So no tip was given to the waitress. I am either going to call them and let them know, or I am going to go back and just tip her in cash. Why do they do this. Do you think that maybe they are just trying to rip the waitress out of her tip?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• when I pay with my atm card, they just take out the meal total and keep it on a hold for a few days and then add the tip later and then it shows up on my statement all together. that's probably what they are doing and you dont realize it
    charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 8:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• its her fault. as an ex waitress we are supposed to put tha tinto the total for your card. if we dont. we lose our tip
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009