Anyone ever worked in retail? Have any horror stories?

I worked at Walgreens for a year, it was my last job.

Let me tell you, some people are insane. I mean, I understand that people have bad days and good days, but there are some people that are just MEAN!

Gah!

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i worked at pets mart. A customer told me it was ok to pet her dog, he has never been agressive to anyone ever. So I did what I was trained to do. Sniff the back of my hand get down to his level let him come to me and I did as I have MANY times before. Well the dog tried to eat my F'ing face off. I fell back on my ass REAL hard and it was caught on camera everyone saw it. So embarassing and I cried. Kinda funny now though.

Another time some lady let her dog poop on the floor as I watched and I offered her a clean up kit and she denied that her dog had crapped there. I said I saw him and she looked around while everyone else in the isle gave her a look because they saw it too, she finally picked it up with shame but damn why should i have to pick it up? its not my dog!
    mommytobe626

Answer by mommytobe626 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I worked at Salvation army store once and most people were great. One time a drunk woman came to the register with her boobs literally hanging out of her shirt, I mean nipples and all. She was chatting away and I was trying so hard not to laugh. I actually felt sorry for her so I started pulling up the front of my shirt like hint hint... but she wasn't getting it...Walked right outside with her boyfriend.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• At three different times I worked in department stores and let metell you, women can be really nasty and high maintenance. So many women think they are the only customer . I really hated it because I had to remain pleasant and cheerful and helpful but I really wnted to slap a few. Men are not like that. They are nice and polite. With the one exception of an old southern dude who couldn't write and he yelled at me because he had to put an "X" onthe sales receipt. where the signature would usually appear. @@
    Anonymous

• I worked at Kmart for almost 2 years and it was a job from hell with some of the types of customers I had come to my register!
    One lady literally yelled at me for smiling at her - she asked me why I was laughing at her. I told her I wasn't laughing, I was smiling as I do with all my customers. She complained to my store manager before she left about my "behavior" and he had to act serious as she yelled at him about it. As soon as she walked out the door he busted out laughing.
    I've had customers throw things at me, do price checks on 20 or more items when there are price check machines throughout the store, stand there and take their time making decisions when it was time for me to ring them up while there was a line of people behind them, and worse of all, the customers who talk on their darn cell phones and ignore me, even if I give them their amount.
    (con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• (con't)
    I've even had customers let me ring up their purchases and either go back through and tell them the price of every single item, have me take half the items off their purchase, or leave the register to go back to shopping while a line is waiting behind them. When I saw they were leaving the line I would ask where they were going and they told me they were going to add a few more things and I would tell them that they needed to pay for the current transaction so I could ring up the other customers. Would you believe that they actually thought that those customers and I should have waited for them while they shopped some more?
    Some people are just so ignorant.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2009