Why wouldn't you cry in front of your child?

I hear moms on here say that they don't cry in front of their kids all the time. Whats wrong with showing emotions and being human? If I got in a fight with my SO then, NO, I would not cry in front of my son, but for something else, like say God forbid our dog died, you bet I would...and I would probably ask him for lots of hugs. My mother never cried in front of me and it took me years to realize that it's ok to cry and let go of your emotions.

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 8:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I cry in front of my kids, but not for everything. If a pet died, or when my great grandmother died, I cried like a little baby in front of them. But, if I fight with my boyfriend or am stressed b/c I can't find a job or something like that, no I won't cry in front of them, b/c they will want to know what is wrong, and those are problems that they should not and will not have to deal with until they are dealing with them for themselves.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I wouldnt cry in front of my child if I was scared or worried. I wouldnt want them to be worried too.

But I dont mind crying to show sadness.

My son and I were watching adoption stories the other day and I was teaching him what adoption was and how the little boy was getting a wonderful new mommy and daddy and I started crying. He asked why and I told him that it made me so happy for him that I cried happy tears.

I want him to be compassionate and considerate of others.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Just the other day I cried infront of my boys and it freaked them out. It's not that I was against crying in front of them, I just never really had any reason to cry. But when I found out my neice is dying, I lost it. My boys were right there patting my back, trying to make me feel better. My little man, 3 yo, fraked and was upset for the next half hour.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• well, mom son is only 16 months but i have cried in front of him special when we found out his grandpa had cancer
    Anonymous

• i ment my not mom...opps
    Anonymous

• I cry in front of my child for whatever reason I needed to cry for. There is nothing wrong with showing emotions in front of a child. It teaches them how to handle emotions and that crying, being angry, happy, etc are all ok to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think the only time i've cried in front of my ds was when I was hurt, but thats just because i've really had no reason to cry for anything else. When his dad and I broke up I cried a lot, but he was an infant so he has no memory of any of that. Same when my great aunt died, I did cry a little (we weren't very close) but he was just a little over 2, so he doesn't remember that either. Anytime I get hurt though, he's right there kissing my boo boo and patting my back telling me its ok.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• When my daddy passed away last year of course I couldn't help but cry. When my mama called that they were taking him to the hospital I actually kind of lost it in front of my 5 year old daughter. I was on the floor screaming and crying. He passed the next day and I cried for the whole day, but then I had to stop in front of her. Seeing me cry mad it so much harder on her. She was already so hurt about losing her paw-paw, seeing me cry just added to it. Everyone was crying, but then we noticed my daughter would get really quiet and go into the corner by herself. We had to stop crying around her it just bothered her too much. That is why she didn't go to the funeral, I knew she couldn't handle it. My daughter is just so worried about other people's feelings seeing someone cry really bother's her.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i cry in front of my kids, my husband is navy and i know alot of women who won't cry when their husbands leave b/c they don't want the kids to see them cry. well my view on that is they miss him too so why not cry together then pull through the hard stuff together.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think it's usually ok to cry in front of them. But sometimes, it's better not to come off as weak and vulnerable. Mom hurting can hurt kids just like kids hurting hurts us.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2009