Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you hadnt seen your dad for 10 yrs would you turn him in for back childsupport...

even after your 18 yrs old? he was abusive to my mom and sisters. the law couldnt find him but i know his home address and have his phone #. ive had it for about 2months. what would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by bluerose26 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Relationships

Level 10 (393 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • if it will put him in jail he was abusive he belongs there i would turn him in

    Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • No I wouldn't. I would be glad that he's not a part of my life any longer, and leave it at that.

    Answer by Fallaya at 10:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • I agree with Fallaya. You're ok now and I assume that there are no children left at home for him to support? If not, then skip the drama and live for yourself now. Karma will take care of him and you won't have to do a thing.

    Answer by Arione at 10:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • You wouldn't get a dime. It would all go back to your mom or the state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • If you are over 18 I think the only thing you can do is establish arrearage and get his social security when he dies. It's worth doing just for that. My kids are in their 30's and I am just now getting child support but I had established arrearage decades ago and never let the case close. He thought when the kids were 18 he'd be free and clear of any debt for C.S. but I fooled him. I never closed the case. I don't get much but I get it or he goes to jail. He recently offered me $1000 to drop the case. How stupid would I be to drop it for $1000? He owes me $60,000.00 plus 12 % interest for 30 yrs worth of back pay. It won't hurt you to file. The other poster is right though, if your mom was on PA they will take their money first then you get what is left over but it's worth filing just to get the SS later if nothing else.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

  • I would go for it. The money wouldn't go to you though. I'm sure you mom would love to have some of the money back that she had to work so hard to take care of you and your siblings. My bf's mom is just now starting to get child support.. bf is 23.

    Answer by starmoonlight at 12:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

  • i agree turn his ass in. You cant just go around dodging child support. he needs t pay for his kids. If he didnt wanna pay he shouldnt have had sex.

    Answer by cudybug at 10:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.