C-section not healed - if you had this issue what did your doctor do/prescribe?

My doctor just prescribed me a THIRD kind of antibiotic to try to heal the infection at my incision site...it's not a bad infection, but it's still a little red/irritated/painful at 6 weeks post-op. I am getting frustrated and starting to feel like he doesn't know what he's doing...I talked to a pharmacist and she thought tetracycline (this is what he just prescribed) wasn't a drug that made sense for this kind of incision. If you had an issue with your incision what course of action did your doctor take?? Thank you!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine was like that for a good eight weeks. It was red or pink every now and then, a little tender and sore, and it's really irritable. It's still that way. I co-sleep and DS always kicks me right in my incision, those little toes hurt! He's about 11 weeks old. My doctor said mine wasn't an infection and that it was normal. It will be tender and sore for a while; C-Sections are major surgery. I don't know what to tell you about the infection though. Hope you find a medicine that works! GL
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• mine ripped open twice...my bf's mom is a nurse so everyday twice a day, she rinsed it with saline and bandaged it...then i just took it easy for a little longer. the c-section is the worst thing i have ever experienced and its no joke. rest and dont lift anything heavier than your baby is the best advice i can offer...and try the saline solution, tape some guaze over it, and maybe go to ER if it doesnt start to get better. docs are only as good as the medical books they read, in my opinion. ill google the med for you to see what it says.
    ok so in my opinion, you should just use like an otc neosporan or something...i havent found one useful piece of literature where its used for c-sections. it is an anti-bacterial agent but also says it crosses throught plasma and released through milk. r u breastfeeding? go to the merck site and see what you think. im not a dr. either and i really dont trust them. good luck sweetie!
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2009