11 year old babysitter??? doesn't sound right to me.....what do you think???

my friend is 10 years older than me and has three kids. 11, 7, and 3. well, about 3 nights a week her and her husband go out drinking, leaving their kids home alone(in a crummy neighborhood, i may add). i have said how i don't think it's right and she always says, 'i leave my phone with them' ' but _____ is very studious and responsible' 'i lock the door'...etc.

sorry but (deep inhale) how in the hell is a cell phone supposed to save those kid's lives if a burgler is breaking in?? is ____just supposed to hold her report card up and that is going to magically stop a rapist from hurting them?? a freaking wood door jam isn't going to hold anyone back wether it's locked or not.

i am thinking that i have to call child protective services, but i would rather just talk to her and and make her realize what she is doing is wrong, but i have tryed that.

what if something happens to them, i could never live with myself

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 11 does sound too young, and to have the responsibility of a 7 and a 3 year old really doesn't seem right. :(

Answer by Bmat at 9:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• There is NOOOOO WAAAAAAY I'd leave my kids with an 11 year old!!! I wouldn't even my 11 yr old by their self at that age! That's just crazy!!! Some people just have no business being parents.

Anonymous

• I would call children services. to hell with your friendship, those children can get caught in a fire and be too frightened to think clearly on how to get out. i def. wouldnt let an 11 yr old babysit. they dont have any business going out drinking if they have children home anyway, who wakes up with the kids in the am? that household needs to be looked at and CS should keep you anonymous. I would tell them the situation and then let them know what days the kids are alone. they usually have to catch a parent in the act to do something about the situation.
    Anonymous

• I was a babysitter at 11. I look back now and know I really was too young. I took a CPR class first but was not really prepared. When I was 15 I was a Jr. Counselor at a camp. I was watching a 7 year old who was sick and isolated. I had a 13 year old too who was with us. The 7 year old was eating some snack food and started to choke. It was stuck in her throat but not she could still get some air through. After attempting to get her to cough it out, I decided to run across the camp to get some help and left the 13 year old to watch the 7 year old. I remember considering if I should go or have the 13 year old go. I ran as fast as I could to the campfire and told one man what happend. A group of male counselors ran to help the girl. By the time I made it back , the counselor told me she had finally coughed it out before they arrived. I remember being so relieved but also so alarmed. No teens for my kids.
    Anonymous

• HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA...HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLL No I wouldn't let an 11 yo babysit my son who's ten!!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• In my state the law is children can stay alone at 12, and they can be responsible for other children at 13. I could see leaving a 13 year old with a 7 year old, provided the 7 year old wasn't a handful. But I don't think I would leave a toddler with a 13 year old.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• first talk toher tell her what she's doing is illegal,
    her 11 year old shouldn't be left alone let alone in charge of a 3 year old i would never let my 10year baby sit even for 1hour
    Maisey-May

Answer by Maisey-May at 8:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I have an 11, 7 and 3 yr olds as well and my 11 yr old might stay with my 7 yr old for maybe 30 min or so or sometimes she will watch the 3 yr old but again not for more than about 30 min and I have to be within a few miles of home. Shes simply not mature enough to watch both of them or for more than a few minutes. I also have a daughter whose almsot 15 so I have her to babysit as well. I think this is irresponsible on many levels. First they are going out drinking and thats irresponsible in and of itself, but to leave them at night is really not okay. Eleven yr olds arent mature enough to be completely responsible for younger children. No matter how mature they are. I dont know if calling CPS is the right thing to do, but I would do my best to try and talk to her first. See if you can make her see how wrong she is and offer some suggestions for sitters. If that doesnt work, then you might not have a choice.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I would have called a long time ago. Call when the you know the kids are home alone. And say the kids are home alone. It will be taken care of.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• It is NOT necessarily illegal for an 11 yr old to be babysitting or to stay home alone. What the states have are guidelines. Age isn't the only guideline, maturity and how well a child can handle an emergency are also looked at. I know 16 year olds that can't handle being home alone but I know 10 year olds that can. I was babysitting babies at 11 yrs old. I really don't think CPS or the police will do anything if the kids are ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2009