Won't stay seated

My 15 month old daughter will not stay in her high chair at restuants, or in the shopping cart in the stores. I can't go out to eat anymore or go shopping b/c all she does is run around. I've tired keep on putting her in there, and trying to put her in the basket and nothing she just tries to escape and RUNS. Help!!! I do want to go out from time to time. Thanks

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to keep her occupied with a special "out of the house only" toy. Let her pick it out and explain that it stays in the car and she can play with it while you are out with her. It may actually take more than one toy to do the job. Other than that, I would say if she is a runner, get a harness for her when all else fails. Good luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Have you tried a harness? they have some cute ones out there with monkey like back pack thing.
    Anonymous

• Oh what do I start with?I am not at all an expert because one of my children is a runner(a.k.a FLIGHT RISK)and the other just started the not wanting to remain seated,probably by watching brother.I guess the annoying thing to do would be to INSIST that they stay in their seat.Like my younger non-autistic child will want to walk without holding my hand (she's 20 months)(but she ISNT a flight risk)If we are in a parking lot I am firm but say ,"Okay,but not here because there are cars!"or if we are walking ,fine but when we are crossing a street you WILL hold my hand"My 4 yr old is autistic and I KNOW he can't just walk next to you.He'll go up in people's yards and stuff if there's a flag or something he wants(he has a flag fettish-not that it's bad to respect the flag)The preschool he attends through the school system is notified that he's a flight risk-we had a harness for him,but feel the ONLY way he will overcome this is if
    maidmomma

Answer by maidmomma at 10:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• we practice without it.(to continue from the last portion.
    It was also a lil IRRITATING hearing neighbors make "dog on the leash jokes)
    Maidmomma
    maidmomma

Answer by maidmomma at 10:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• try the harness alot of parents use them just ignore the stupid lil jokes from other ppl i had gotten one for my daughter and only had to use it once i thought she would b the one to run and run but i think im going to b using it on my son once he starts walking better they do work and u dont have to worrie about them running away and u not being able to find the playing hide and seek form mommy and daddy in the store kid
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Strap her in....seriously
    Anonymous

• Do you use the seat belts in the shopping carts? With my 18 month old I have to make sure I find a cart with seat belt so I can strap him in. He isn't strong enough yet to undo them. Same with high chairs at a restraunts. If the restraunt doesn't have high chairs with a seat belt we carry a portable high chair that clips onto the table so we can strap him in.
    Anonymous

• I know what it's like to have a child who won't stay in the seat or who screams if she can't get out and tries to wiggle her way out of straps. As you always hear, this too shall pass. With my daughter, I would let her walk at the store, but only if she stayed with me. I used the harness (leash thing) to keep her from getting out of my sight while I was focused on something in a store. At meal times, I would give her activities at the table to do and play games with her. As she got older, she could "help" me at the grocery store which kept her busy and close. She's 3 now, and this is just no longer an issue. Toddlers are busy and difficult to handle some times. Today, my daughter took her toy dog on a leash to the grocery store and pulled it around the whole time. She loves picking out vegetables and fruit to buy and putting it in bags. 15 months is quite young, but maybe you can find some way for her to "help"??
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 12:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• i had the problem of my daughter climbing out of the cart. She still wont' sit in it and even if I strap her in and make it tight she wriggles out of it! I tell her if she stays by me, she can walk. She usually does but as soon as she tries to run, I grab her arm, pull her to me and won't allow her to move. Breathe, but no moving the arms or legs like she wants. I tell her she better stay by me and hold her there for about a min or so (until she stops struggling and starts crying). She's usually good the rest of the time. as for the high chair, I have no idea! GL!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• She must be very talented because if I use the strap on the seat and tighten it correctly she can't get out....You are using the buckle right? I know you have to look for the seat with a buckle that's not broken and it takes a while sometimes but isn't it worth it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2009