Could this be nursemaid elbow?

My husband picked my youngest son up (4 months) by his hands. He didn't cry, he laughed. I yelled at my husband not stop that it could hurt him. Since then he has stopped pulling himself up when you hold his hands while laying on the bed. He used to pull himself up immediately when you held his hands. Could this be nursemaid elbow? I do not see any difference in how he holds his hands, he still plays on his tummy and grabs toys and puts his fingers in his mouth, etc. The ONLY difference is that he refuses to pull up into a sitting position.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't sound like it AT ALL! My oldest has dislocated his elbow 3 times now. (That is nursemaids elbow). It is very painful and he refused to use his arm for anything. He would just cradle it close to his body. Maybe you scared him when you yelled at daddy! :-) lol.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• The chances of both arms being affected are slim. My son wouldn't even MOVE his arm when his was pulled out of the socket so if he's reaching for toys it's probably fine. He might have strained something.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• No, I don't believe it is nursemaid's elbow. The first time my daughter's elbow popped out, we ended up in the ER thinking it was broken. She couldn't move her whole arm because of the pain and wouldn't let it away from her body. My guess is that your son is just working on something different now.
    Rondamb

Answer by Rondamb at 11:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2009