Introducing a bit of formula?

I dont want this to be a breastfeeding vs formula feeding debate.
I know breast is best, I've been EBF for 4 months now, and I love it.
I pump occasionally but really can't get that much. I can only get more than an oz in the morning, and when she wakes up early she eats it before I get a chance to pump it. So it takes me about 3 weeks to pump enough for an overnight stay at grandmas house.
So for this reason, I would like her to be able to drink some formula. Just for occasions when I don't have enough pumped.
How should I go about introducing it?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 10:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just try it straight first. She may have no problem with it. My first would take absolutely anything. My 2nd wouldn't touch anything but breastmilk. And my 3rd will take formula now with no problem. I basically only breastfeed, but use the formula for emergency!! If she won't take it straight, you could try mixing it with breastmilk, but I would think if she doesn't like it she will still taste it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• i had the exact same problem..i introduced formula at 4 months and as long as your pumping when youre away from your baby..it wont affect your milk supply...if you decide to do it all the time..make sure the bottle is at the same time everyday because if you arent pumping when shes eating your milk will be lowest at that time..i dont think there is anything wrong with it.i did it and my baby is 7 months at an 11 month old level..so dont feel guilty for needing some you time ...good luck:)
    mom2b112108

Answer by mom2b112108 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• So when I give it to her, should I wait afew days to see if there's any sort of reaction? or would there be side affects more immediately?
    If she will drink it would it be okay to send it to grandmas just to top off the pumped milk, to make it stretch?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Say "Baby, this is formula; formula, this is Baby". Sorry, that was so lame, but what do ya want? I am an EBFer, but I'll spare ya that stuff. If your bound & determined to give her a bottle of something other than breast milk, look into goats milk instead of formula. As a permanent substitute for breast milk, it is a little lower on iron, but other than that it is very similar & would make a great overnight fix. I actually had an epiphany! My dd is almost 9 months & I have not spent more than 15 minutes away from this kid. Thanks for asking this question! She's going to Grammas!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• I think the better answer is how to get your pumping up. If you pump occasionally, you aren't boosting your supply enough to make some backup bottles. I EBF'd but also pumped and froze so I could go to school at night and DH would feed our kids bottles. Try pumping right after she nurses, same time, every day. If you use a hand pump, you can sometimes pump as she's nursing on the other side (especially if you use a boppy). I often found that once I let down, I could get so much more milk.

As far as an occasional bottle of formula, just be sure to pump when you would normally nurse, so that you don't reduce your supply. Otherwise, just wait until you need it, and then use it - there's no need to phase it in. GL and enjoy the night off - I'm jealous!
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• you may want to try mixing the two first..but with mine i tried good start first and she threw that up right away so i put her on similac and she did fine...the doctor told me if she was going to have a reaction it would be pretty close to right after feeding time..and it would be to the protien or milk subtitute...she should be fine..beware of formula poops though! they are much smellier and messier than breastfeeding babies..lol trust me!
    mom2b112108

Answer by mom2b112108 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• not trying to encourage you not to breastfeed..i just know exactly what your talking about..i tried everything from meds to pumping every 90 minutes and it increased my supply about a half an ounce...i still breastfeed exclusivly when im with my babe..but she does great on the formula when im not...
    mom2b112108

Answer by mom2b112108 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• wow awful breast is best
    Anonymous

• You can always make pumping more effective. Even one bottle can hurt. Try pumping one breast while baby nurses the other. You save time and it helps let down. Also use warm compresses to help let down. Pump more than on occasion and you can avoid the formula risks all together.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Let grandma do it. Baby will likely refuse it from you.

Better yet...save what you do pump...if you're home, nurse...even if it means you lose sleep. (Which is dictated by the mommy contract anyway!) **smile** She needs ONE OUNCE per hour of separation from you.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2009